• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Thumbnails (not Smart Previews) for ALL photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebore

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
5.2.4 34BCAC
Operating System
  1. iOS
If I have Smart Previews enabled and "Store Locally" set for an album(s) there is no delay in viewing any photo, either while still in the Thumbnail view, or full window view. On my main iPad I have used a suggestion by Jim Wilde to create an "All Photos" album and check the "Store Locally" for it, which has worked brilliantly. All 79K of photos are instantly available, thumbnail and full screen with or without internet. When I set that up the 79K of Smart Previews used about 130GB of local storage, which is fine on that iPad which has 512GB capacity.

We now have another iPad in the family which does not have space for 130GB of Smart Previews, so I haven't turned on Store Locally (except a few albums). This means that even in Thumbnail view the thumbnails are only downloaded as I scroll down, so there is a wait when I scroll while that page of thumbnails is downloaded. On this iPad I would happily settle for just the thumbnails to be visible all the time without a download delay, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that. I could do it by doing a one-off scroll though all 79K allowing each screen to populate the thumbnails, but apart from being very laborious I am not sure it would stick.

Is there any setting which will keep the thumbnails available, but not Smart Previews which would take too much space?

Thanks

Last edited:
The thumbnails will have to be created once, so that is probably what you are seeing right now. After that, they should be kept on the device automatically. They only need to be updated when an image was edited on another device.

The one-off scroll is the only way at the moment - I'd like a preload button too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back