• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Thoughts on backing up Lightroom cloud?

Laura Smith

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 3.3 X64 [ 20200611-1039-7df19f1 ] (Jun 11 2020)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm finding myself using Lightroom cloud much more than Classic, so I'm looking for workarounds for the things I still use Classic for, to see if I can stop using it completely. One thing I still use Classic for is a local backup. It'd be great to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of different approaches to backing up Lightroom cloud without Classic.

Option 1: "Store a copy of all originals at the specified location"

Seems like a no-brainer: just do this and then backup that directory using my normal backup system. But I have a small SSD in my laptop, so the originals would have to be stored on a USB disk that isn't connected all the time (that's what I do with Classic at the moment, and just have the current month's photos on the SSD). Has anyone tried that on a removable disk? How does Lightroom cope if you try to use it without that disk? Does it just happily use its cache and pull originals on demand as usual? Or does it get confused?

Massive downside of this idea: I don't have a local copy of edits.

Option 2: "Export Original + Settings"

This will give me a local backup of edits, as well as let me put it on a removable disk without any hassle. Periodically I would go to All Photos, sort them by Import Date, select all and export to the USB disk (which itself is backed up locally on another disk).

Downsides: It's a manual process that I have to remember to do and has the room for human error.

If you've got anything to share on these two options or if you've got an Option 3 of your own, that would be great to hear!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I know this is a Lightroom forum but I am interested in learning where anyone would go with their backed up RAW+XMP files if they decide Adobe was no longer the way for them? Part of any backup strategy has to be how will I use the backups if/when needed. I went on that quest before signing up for the Photography plan and I found it disturbing how difficult it would be, if it was possible at all, to import my hours of work into another application.

I resigned myself to assuming I would need to export them as JPGs with as much detail as possible or start over if the result wasn't what I wanted at the time. I actually keep a ★★★★★ folder with albums of duplicate images I want to make sure I preserve as they are today without having to cull thru them all. Unfortunately it doesn't help with the LR Downloader as it pays no attention to your organization and drops all the downloads into a date based folder structure. And yes I realize that I am "wasting" expensive cloud storage but I've decided to kick that can down the road until I get a lot closer to needing more space and I am hoping that over time as alternatives become available Adobe will be forced to properly price their cloud services.

There are several alternatives to Lightroom. Capture One by Phase One and PhotoRAW by ON1 are probably the best examples. One of these two is purported to actually reengineer XMP files to render RAW images like Lightroom.

FWIW, This is not an Adobe forum but a Lightroom forum managed and led by users. Alternatives to Lightroom is not off topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are several alternatives to Lightroom. Capture One by Phase One and PhotoRAW by ON1 are probably the best examples. One of these two is purported to actually reengineer XMP files to render RAW images like Lightroom.

FWIW, This is not an Adobe forum but a Lightroom forum managed and led by users. Alternatives to Lightroom is not off topic.

@clee01l those were both products that I found, the downside seems to be they work thru a catalog which I believe has to be from the CLASSIC version of LR not the cloudy version putting me back at ground zero.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
@clee01l those were both products that I found, the downside seems to be they work thru a catalog which I believe has to be from the CLASSIC version of LR not the cloudy version putting me back at ground zero.

I have not looked to deep into this, but the app that can convert XMP works off of XMP files. If you can’t recover your Lightroom images files with an XMP sidecar it will work.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
C1 can import a Classic Lightroom catalogue or it can read adjustments and other metadata from XMP. It attempts to map Adobe adjustments to its own, but rendering files in different apps is never going to be perfect. IPTC metadata should be fine though.

For Cloudy users wanting to take their metadata and adjustments elsewhere, the key is the Adobe Downloader and whatever XMP it dumps with your files. Just remember that this is not intended as a workflow - it's a lifeboat, not a ferry.