The visual difference between a RAW file open in Lightroom Classic and Capture NX-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fazia

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 7.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When I opened RAW files from the old car show on my desktop, I noticed a significant difference in how the picture looked when opened the same image in Nikon Capture NX-D and Lightroom Classic.
Camera Nikon Z6, NEF file in Capture NX-D, and DNG file in Lightroom Classic. I am very surprised because it should not be a difference besides the size between NEF and DNG.

Attachments

• Capture-NX-D.jpg
    Capture-NX-D.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Lightoom.jpg
    Lightoom.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 105
The image that you see is not a RAW file. RAW file contains values for Photo Sites from the sensor. These photosite values need to be combined to produce RGB color pixels.

Capture NX-D uses the same camera adjustments to produce the RGB JPEG that you see in the Camera viewing screen and in the JPEG thumbnail that is Stored in the NEF.
Adobe has a similar but not equal process to convert the RAW data into an RGB image. Bother of these methods process the image. (Develop) to produce what you see on your computer screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The image that you see is not a RAW file. RAW file contains values for Photo Sites from the sensor. These photosite values need to be combined to produce RGB color pixels.

Capture NX-D uses the same camera adjustments to produce the RGB JPEG that you see in the Camera viewing screen and in the JPEG thumbnail that is Stored in the NEF.
Adobe has a similar but not equal process to convert the RAW data into an RGB image. Bother of these methods process the image. (Develop) to produce what you see on your computer screen.
The starting point for editing is the picture I see on the screen. What I see on the screen is starting point for editing. In my case a picture in Capture NX-D got rich colors I remember from what I sow. In Lightroom colors are desaturated that mean I have to add saturation. If after editing I convert file in TIF result will be visualy similar? Or if I convert in both programs a picture to TIF without editig the result visualy will be similiar? I am afraid I don't understand. BTW I opened this picture in DxO Photolab and picture look the same as in Capture NX-D, rich saturated colors and nice contrast, not like in Lightroom.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What any raw converter program is providing you is a starting point. Yes, as Cletus mentioned, Capture NX does start with the camera settings. But some people actually prefer a more "flat" raw file so they can adjust it to their preferences easier. Before you come to any conclusions, I would suggest processing a variety of files in the various programs you are considering. What you end up with and how you get there may be different than what you initially expected. A starting point is only that, and your end product, as well as how you get there, give you a better sense of how a program will or will not meet your needs.

Good luck,

--Ken

The Image that you see in Lightroom is edited just as the image you see in Capture NX-D. The difference is that the Lightroom image is lightly edited initially while the NX-D image is a fully edited JPEG rendition. Adobe expects you to use its more robust editing tools to fully develop the image.

The Image that you see in Lightroom is edited just as the image you see in Capture NX-D. The difference is that the Lightroom image is lightly edited initially while the NX-D image is a fully edited JPEG rendition. Adobe expects you to use its more robust editing tools to fully develop the image.
Thank you for your explanation. The reason that I asked the question was that the first time I noticed a significant difference in pictures. Most of my pictures are landscapes and in this kind of photo, a difference is not that visible.

Thank you for your explanation. The reason that I asked the question was that the first time I noticed a significant difference in pictures. Most of my pictures are landscapes and in this kind of photo, a difference is not that visible.
Your observations and questions are quite common, especially from folks who are new to LRC or working with raw files. If you like what the jpeg file or instructions render, you should be able to learn how to produce that, or a similar, look. I find that Auto Tone helps a lot when I work on images. If I do not like what I see, then I just undo it and work the image as I see fit. But I find the process of working on an image to be a great teaching tool.

--Ken

Your observations and questions are quite common, especially from folks who are new to LRC or working with raw files. If you like what the jpeg file or instructions render, you should be able to learn how to produce that, or a similar, look. I find that Auto Tone helps a lot when I work on images. If I do not like what I see, then I just undo it and work the image as I see fit. But I find the process of working on an image to be a great teaching tool.

--Ken
Most times I start editing with Auto Tone and from that point adjusting for my test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back