• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

The Time has Come My Friends....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregJ

Greg Johnson
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Latest Version of Classic via Adobe Cloud
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Do you guys even realize that there are top-end 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Gen 4 SSDs for 170 bucks all over the market today at an all-time (by far) low for SSDs?

Let us light the fires all over the World of our funeral pyre stacks of spinning hard drives. May they melt in peace.

How is this relevant to LR? It is extremely relevant because I think about 75% of you should be working off of them right now for your data since most of you don't have over 1.5 TB of raw files anyway. And for those of you who do, there are 4 TB very fast M.2 drives for less than 420 bucks.

I have not acted on this because I need a couple of 8TBs. I'm waiting.... And watching....

But you guys need to do this. I'm telling you....

You are welcome....

My 4TB spinning drive for photos (and a clone for backup) is over 80% full (catalog and RAW files). So, let me know if a good 6TB ot 8TB portable SSD hits the market at a reasonable price.

My 4TB spinning drive for photos (and a clone for backup) is over 80% full (catalog and RAW files). So, let me know if a good 6TB ot 8TB portable SSD hits the market at a reasonable price.
B&H had some that looked like they may have been marked down for the Cyber Monday sale. I am not sure how brand-specific you are, but worth a look.

--Ken

Thanks for sharing that news, I'm sure that'll make some people go looking.

One gentle word though, international prices vary, and people's economic situations vary. It's great to hear that you're happy to recommend them, but we also can't tell people what they must do or make people feel bad if they can't or won't do that at this time...

Thanks for sharing that news, I'm sure that'll make some people go looking.

One gentle word though, international prices vary, and people's economic situations vary. It's great to hear that you're happy to recommend them, but we also can't tell people what they must do or make people feel bad if they can't or won't do that at this time...
Yes, thanks Victoria. I'm obviously not trying to SSD-shame anyone. But a lot is happening in the SSD arena right now and it will help photographers as we move forward.
I have two 10TB spinners in my rig right now, so I understand most of us are still going to have them (but not to boot from).
Anyway, I will say that everyone should be thinking about having a 1TB M.2 SSD to boot from and it's getting to where it's not a bad idea to have a 2TB M.2 internally for data.
For those of us with larger amounts of image files (beyond 2 TB), we can just keep our eye on the market. The day is coming (very soon) when 4, 8 and 10 TB PCIe 4 M.2 SSDs are less than half the price they are now. When that happens, it is going to kill smaller HDDs in a big way.
The speed, power, size and reliability (yes - now also reliability) is light-years better with these newer faster SSDs than with spinners.

Yeah, the difference in performance is huge, I'd hate to have to go back to a spinning boot drive

Yeah, the difference in performance is huge, I'd hate to have to go back to a spinning boot drive
I agree about the comment of a spinning boot drive. However, speed/performance is not so critical for data typically stored on an external drive. And Thunderbolt 3 or4 ports offer an I/O speeds comparable to a bus mounted internal drive.

In checking, I find 8TB Thunderbolt SSDs are running around $800USD. And the bare enclosure id less than $150USD.

I agree about the comment of a spinning boot drive. However, speed/performance is not so critical for data typically stored on an external drive. And Thunderbolt 3 or4 ports offer an I/O speeds comparable to a bus mounted internal drive.

In checking, I find 8TB Thunderbolt SSDs are running around $800USD. And the bare enclosure id less than $150USD.
I hear you. True on the price for fast non-SATA 8 TB SSDs. In fact, it is even worse than that. The M.2 8TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD I have my eye on is 1400 bucks and I just won't do that now. But those will come down soon.
But don't think for a second that you won't benefit greatly from it. It is going to be awesome.

I bit the bullet years ago with a Network appliance 4 x 6 TB hot swap able. I have 10 TB about half full!

I looked around yesterday. I need at least two powered 6 TB for external storage. Still a little too rich for me. I'll wait another year.

I looked around yesterday. I need at least two powered 6 TB for external storage. Still a little too rich for me. I'll wait another year.
The Bare enclosure TB that I mentioned is less than $150. That price is reasonable in today's market and for now you can fill it with existing HDDs until an attractive Price point is seen on the SSDs.

I agree, although for what I do and my reluctance to keep anything I'm not proud of, I can't see myself ever needing more that 1TB on any one drive. My current system has two 1TB NVMe drives. One is the boot drive with all the software, the other for data. The boot drive connects direct to the CPU, the other to the chipset. The old system was based on four 1TB WD Black HHDs. They are so reliable, they just won't die. I use them for backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back