• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

The Inevitable is Upon Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Ballard

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Sort of...

The latest Mac OS Big Sur update was the final nail in my coffin of realization that I need to update my 2015 MacBook Pro. Yes, shutting off the GPU allowed LRc to function normally, etc., but there's more to it. I'm doing a good bit more video work these days, and with 4K use now commonplace and 8K for the masses just over the horizon, I'm still working with a system optimized for 1080p. All that, plus I've got a swelling battery, USB ports that constantly need resetting, and the like...:cautious:

So, let's make this as fun as it can possibly be: spend my money and put together the ideal MacBook Pro video and photo-processing machine. My only criteria is that I'm looking at as much screen real estate as is possible, so the 16 inch Retina will be the one. But, GPU, RAM, processor, and other options have to be decided upon. Let's hear your input!

But before you start, there are some fixed, and 'in stone' rules: first, no PC suggestions, I'm invested in and staying with Mac; second, it must be a MacBook Pro, as I live on a small sailboat and don't have room or power for anything else; and third...I forgot what my third rule was. Ah well.

Let's hear it - what say you?

Suggestion: Limp through on the current MBP until Apple releases a 16" MRP with Apple Silicon ( M1X or M2) this spring.

BTW, love my M1 Mini with 16GB and 1TB SSD. Have it chained via TB3 to a 32" wide gamut monitor, to a 8TB G-drive HDD for Time Machine, and a Netstor box with two 2TB SSDs in a 4TB RAID 0. Replaced my 2017 iMac quad core. Zero problem running my photo apps.

I like mcasan's answer. If you need a 16-inch MacBook Pro, the one to get is the Apple Silicon-based model. Which does not exist yet, but everybody expects it to be out in a few months. If you can hold out that long, it’s expected to run much faster and cooler than the current Intel 16-inch.

If your current Mac dies too soon, the fallback position would be to buy the current 16-inch Intel MacBook Pro or the 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro, but plan to sell it and apply the proceeds to the 16-inch M1 MacBook Pro when that finally comes out.

Suggestion: Limp through on the current MBP until Apple releases a 16" MRP with Apple Silicon ( M1X or M2) this spring.

BTW, love my M1 Mini with 16GB and 1TB SSD. Have it chained via TB3 to a 32" wide gamut monitor, to a 8TB G-drive HDD for Time Machine, and a Netstor box with two 2TB SSDs in a 4TB RAID 0. Replaced my 2017 iMac quad core. Zero problem running my photo apps.
I like mcasan's answer. If you need a 16-inch MacBook Pro, the one to get is the Apple Silicon-based model. Which does not exist yet, but everybody expects it to be out in a few months. If you can hold out that long, it’s expected to run much faster and cooler than the current Intel 16-inch.

If your current Mac dies too soon, the fallback position would be to buy the current 16-inch Intel MacBook Pro or the 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro, but plan to sell it and apply the proceeds to the 16-inch M1 MacBook Pro when that finally comes out.
Each, a good solution. Thanks for the input. We will see how long this one keeps plugging along. It's the battery which I'm most concerned about; the rest is, at this point in time, little more than 'inconveniences.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back