• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

"the files could not be copied to the backup location."

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard.hallett

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I just installed Lightroom Classic 9.4 on my laptop which is running Windows 10.
I am using 2 different cameras: Panasonic FZ1000 and an Olympus TG-6
When I import my photos from the camera I receive the following error message: "the files could not be copied to the backup location."
It looks like the raw files from the Panasonic (.RW2) and the Olympus (.ORF) are not being imported.
DNG files were created.

Given that the DNG files were created should I ignore the error message? Has all the raw information been imported to Lightroom?
Thank you,
Rich

It sounds as though you were using the "Copy as DNG" import option, was that intentional? The original Raw files would not be imported if you have chosen to convert them to DNG.

The other problem sounds as though you had the "Make a second copy" option also enabled in the import dialog, though the folder/drive specified is causing a problem (not enough space, no permissions, drive offline).

It sounds as though you were using the "Copy as DNG" import option, was that intentional? The original Raw files would not be imported if you have chosen to convert them to DNG.

The other problem sounds as though you had the "Make a second copy" option also enabled in the import dialog, though the folder/drive specified is causing a problem (not enough space, no permissions, drive offline).
Thank you Jim, Very helpful.

Yes, I did mean to "Copy as DNG" as my understanding is that this preserves all the information found in the RAW file regardless of which camera I use.

WRT the other issue, I did not realize that the new install defaulted to having a second copy made. In my case the box was checked and the directory it pointed to did not exist. Unchecking the box solved the issue.

Thanks for your quick response it looks like I am back in business.

WRT the other issue, I did not realize that the new install defaulted to having a second copy made. In my case the box was checked and the directory it pointed to did not exist. Unchecking the box solved the issue.
Making a Second Copy is good practice for data security. Your image files are most vulnerable when there is only one copy existing on the camera card. Even after import you vulnerability does not decrease until there are two copies of your image files on two separate disks. If you want to erase the camera card for reuse, you should have the "Make a Second Copy..." checked and pointing to a valid location. "Make a Second Copy..." can be a temporary safety measure until your system backup has kicked in and backed up your imported image files. But the reason that it is there is for unexpected failure of the critical data disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back