Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
5.3 [938183]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi All,

I am working on improving my metadata.

I hoped to find a way to filter out all pictures that would "not contain" a title or caption text for instance.
But I haven't found the way to do it if any as the filters are not offering an option such as "show if empty".

Is there a way to show images that have empty text fields ?

Thanks in advance.

I’m not on LrC at the moment. Some fields allow for the option “is empty” I can’t remember if Title is one of them.

“Does not contain” will always work. For the criteria [a b c and so forth for 26 letters on to x y z] Note the space between letters. Alternately [a e i o u] if you always have word that contain one of the vowels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Smart Collection criteria for both "Title" and "Caption" have the "Is Empty" operand.

I’m not on LrC at the moment. Some fields allow for the option “is empty” I can’t remember if Title is one of them.

“Does not contain” will always work. For the criteria [a b c and so forth for 26 letters on to x y z] Note the space between letters. Alternately [a e i o u] if you always have word that contain one of the vowels.

Pretty clever to use all alphabet letters or numerals with a "does not contain" operand to look for empty fields. But Jim's answer here below kills it. Thanks Clee.

I got enthusiastic too quicly I guess. LR 5.3 doesn't have the "is empty" operand available. :(

Is Empty is a feature added in a more recent version. That’s why the alphabet solution was developed long ago. Not every field has a “is Empty” option so the alphabet solution is still needed for those that don’t. I originally suggested both solutions because I could not remember which field had “is Empty” and which did not.

The space character in the criteria field represents the “OR” function. So the criteria gets interpreted as {Doesn’t contain}{a OR b OR c…}

Is Empty is a feature added in a more recent version. That’s why the alphabet solution was developed long ago. Not every field has a “is Empty” option so the alphabet solution is still needed for those that don’t. I originally suggested both solutions because I could not remember which field had “is Empty” and which did not.

The space character in the criteria field represents the “OR” function. So the criteria gets interpreted as {Doesn’t contain}{a OR b OR c…}

Thanks Clee ! I got it working with the alphabet solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back