• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Testing Lightroom classic-new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

flindland

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello.
I am testing Lightroom classic and have some questions:I tried to add one of my folders. In map module I got this message:
1636759382237.png

How can I fix this?

I also added some metadata in an other application and saved to file. The sublocation and country code was added, but not city, state/province and country. Why?

When I take photos with my iphone there is two versions of each file: for example IMG_5500.jpg and IMG_5500_display.jpg. How can I set LR to automatically stack them?

I also tried to add a person and save metadata to file. In LR I found this person under "Person shown". But what is the right way to add persons to LR from other applications?

In LR I found no way to search for people in the library filter. Is that right?

Frode

In map module I got this message:
Do you have some kind of firewall running? That's often the cause of the map getting blocked.
I also added some metadata in an other application and saved to file. The sublocation and country code was added, but not city, state/province and country.
We'd need to know more details on that.
When I take photos with my iphone there is two versions of each file: for example IMG_5500.jpg and IMG_5500_display.jpg. How can I set LR to automatically stack them?
Do you actually want to keep both? If so, you could try Photo menu > Stacking > Auto-Stack by Capture Time set to a 0 second time difference.
I also tried to add a person and save metadata to file. In LR I found this person under "Person shown". But what is the right way to add persons to LR from other applications?
Ummmm what kind of other application are you thinking of using?
In LR I found no way to search for people in the library filter. Is that right?
You'd search on keywords. People are just special keywords.

Do you have some kind of firewall running? That's often the cause of the map getting blocked.

We'd need to know more details on that.

Do you actually want to keep both? If so, you could try Photo menu > Stacking > Auto-Stack by Capture Time set to a 0 second time difference.

Ummmm what kind of other application are you thinking of using?

You'd search on keywords. People are just special keywords.
The map is working as it should with LR 11;)

The location is also right now, so far. I used the Imatch application and saved to file from there. LR looks up the location itself, but when using read from file in LR, the city and state was not updated in LR. I will try some more:) Imatch had both Location and Sublocation. LR has just Sublocation?

It worked to autostack by capture time. Good! Do you think I need both the jpg-file and the _display.jpg file?

I will use Mylio together with LR. If I want to bring over all the faces from Mylio to LR, do I have to add the persons in LR first? Or is it enough to save metadata to file in Mylio and read from file in LR?

Searching for people works as you said:)

One more question: I have a keyword list (a lightroom list) I used in Imatch. I guess I can import this list into LR in some way?

Thank you very much for your help:)

If I want to use LR classic, is it ok to bring all my 120.000 photos in one go? I would then add my top folder "Pictures". Will LR skip to import folders already in my catalog? (hope so to avoid duplicates).

Miss a view in folders to see for example just photos in the 2021 folder. If I click on my 2021 folder, LR also show the subfolders. I guess I have missed something here... It should be possible to see which photos are in the parent folder only?

Miss a view in folders to see for example just photos in the 2021 folder. If I click on my 2021 folder, LR also show the subfolders. I guess I have missed something here... It should be possible to see which photos are in the parent folder only?
In the Library menu, uncheck the option to "Show Photos in Subfolders".

In the Library menu, uncheck the option to "Show Photos in Subfolders".
Thank you! When I select show subfolders, I would like a header (with the folder name) between each folder in the image display area. Is that possible?

With the menu option "Show folders in sub-folders" checked,- "Possible?" -No.
Lr-Classic does not show 'Headers' in the Grid View of thumbnails (as some Mac apps might). Grid view shows all files sorted by the set Sort option.
You only need to [click] to select the individual sub-folders (in the Folder panel) to view the images contained in a sub-folder. (and you can view images in multiple folders by holding [Ctrl] as you select multiple folders)

Hint: If you have 'Expanded Cell Extras' visible you can show the Folder name where an image is stored on the thumbnail border-
1636930449592.png

1636930420227.png

With the menu option "Show folders in sub-folders" checked,- "Possible?" -No.
Lr-Classic does not show 'Headers' in the Grid View of thumbnails (as some Mac apps might). Grid view shows all files sorted by the set Sort option.
You only need to [click] to select the individual sub-folders (in the Folder panel) to view the images contained in a sub-folder. (and you can view images in multiple folders by holding [Ctrl] as you select multiple folders)

Hint: If you have 'Expanded Cell Extras' visible you can show the Folder name where an image is stored on the thumbnail border-
View attachment 17505
View attachment 17504
Thank you!

I have imported a keywordlist into LR classic. If I should import all my 120.000 photos into LR, what will happen to my existing keywords? It seems like LR creates new keyword tags. Is there a way to get LR to merge my existing keywords into this keywords in my keywordlist? Or do I have to solve that afterwards?

When organizing keyword list, it surprises me that there is no clipboard or possibility to cut keywords and paste them elsewhere. Is this right? Lightroom should have this!

I have imported a keywordlist into LR classic. If I should import all my 120.000 photos into LR, what will happen to my existing keywords? It seems like LR creates new keyword tags. Is there a way to get LR to merge my existing keywords into this keywords in my keywordlist? Or do I have to solve that afterwards?
Any keywords in metadata will be imported, so I'd save tidying up until you've got all the photos in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back