• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Terence

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmplyTryn

Terence
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 10.2 Windows 10
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am learning how to set up keywords, I have Victoria's book and want to set up a hierarchy. I realise that there is a huge preconstructed hierarchy available. I there fore realise that I need to select a subset of the availalble classes and then introduce my own personal set of key words. I don't see how I should do this. As I have set lightroom to automatically classify faces I am getting big list of names. I also don't see how I then put them in as instances of the Faces key word set. As you see I don't know how to create the environment of Key word classifiers that I can then use to hold my subsets/
Thanks

I'm not sure quite what you're looking to achieve here. Do you want to use an actual pre-constructed list? If so why? (for some it's useful, especially for Stock Photographers).

If you check Page 144 of your Classic FAQ book, you'll see notes on hierarchical keywords.

As a simple example with faces (as you mention them, you could select People under the Keyword List panel, and add a grouping, then just drag existing keywords under it. I have, for people, top-levels for family, friends, work,... - simply to make it quick to find them (and I like tidy!)

Perhaps explain a little more what your objectives are?

Paul Thanks for your prompt reply. I had not understood what you explained to me namely finding key words in the Keyword list panel and then creating a grouping... I didn't understand the mechanics of making a hierarchical list. I was trying to put together a list of "headers " but then found that Lightroom was putting them under each other, and I didn't know how to move it up to the top level. Thus I didn't know how to define top level headers versus entries into these lists. I have nothing very complicated just events locations, participants and images etc I wanted to present a simple selection classification at the time the photo was added or viewed with headers at the top and scrollable entries underneath which I hoped would be added automatically to the metadata
Terence

Hi Terence

Easy way to get started on hierarchy is go to the + to the left of 'Keyword List', enter a word (so in my example above, 'Family'), then start dragging the people in your family under it )drop them on, like you would drag and drop folders). Start simple and build!

Paul Thanks for your prompt reply. I will attempt this. However in the interim from my past message I have been partially successful in uploading a txt list of key words. I found that the first list loaded like a charm. However the next two didn't I made certain that they followed on like the example shown in the book. However the difference between them might be that the first list had a the matching Title which was Events already in the machine. The others didn't
would that make the difference. If I entered the Family as in your example could I then upload the list to complete it? In reality on of my headers is Cities. and I have a list of relevant cities where photos have been taken.
Thanks
Terence

I suggest that you make up a small catalog (50-100 images or so) and practice on that until you understand the mechanics of keyword hierarchies. That way, your initial learning steps won't mess up your main catalog.

John Thanks for your kind suggestion. I will seriously consider that. At this point in time I am working on Paul's suggestion. I have found that creating a keyword list in a text editor will load key words into the metadata list. However it is first necessary to use Paul's suggestion of using the + sign to create the class that the lightroom will then load the data from the text file. However Paul these all are coming mixed up alphabetically with the person file. It is obviously important to keep them separate How is this done?
Thanks
Terence

Paul I want to give an update. I have found the way to separate Persons from Other keyword. I am now going to work on the groups Do you keep the groups of persons mixed in with the others or is there a way to separate them into an area for different groups it would make it a lot easier to sort them. I understand that you can use the paint tool in the grid view to select the photos that you need to label. How is that done? Do you load the tool with all of the needed key words and paint them at the same time? Thanks Terence By the way I am beginning to realise the significance of the Keyword Hierarchies mentioned by John yesterday. I have not as yet approached that. I realise that say with waterfalls I could have such a key class with specific instances listed under it Is that how it is done? How else are hierarchies used?
Thanks
Terence

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back