• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Tagging of photos with colour or rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello

I have a collection (1) of photos and have tagged various ones with RED, I now have another collection (2) , I want to Tag some photos in C2 with BLUE, but some of the ones I need to tag have been tagged RED from C1, cant see a way around this, as any colour tagging is reflected in images in all collections.

I could use rating, but would have the same issue, only thing i can think of is adding a keyword RED with the RED photos and keyword BLUE to the blue photos, some would have RED & BLUE, but could be keyword filtered, not ideal unless someone has a suggestion

thanks

If I understand, what you want is for any individual image to have one rating or color in one collection and the same image to have a different rating or color when viewed from a different colleciton?

If that's the case, the problem you have run into is that metadta is stored at the image level (think of this as the Folder level) and a colleciton is just a pointer to the image. So, any metadata change you make when viewing the image from any collection or from its folder is reflected in all the others. The work around for this is to create a VC (Virtual copy) for the image. This gives you a new set of metadata for the VC that is seperate from the metadata on the master image (when created the VC gets a copy of the master image metadata). Then place the image in one collection and the VC in the other collection.

But, some things to remember. Other than file image name and folder path the metadata is seperate. So if you add, say, a kw to the master image, that Kw will not automatically show up on the VC and vice-versa. A second thing to remember is that a VC is only inside of LR. Nothing pertaining to the metadata on the VC is ever written to the physical image file (or XMP side car file in the case of proprietary RAW files). So, if you set the master image to 3 stars and the VC to 4 stars, you will never see 4 stars in the external image file unless you export the VC to create a new physical image on disk and that copy will have the 4 stars.

You can color code Collections (these do not replace individual labels though) You could put images in a red colored Collection and put the same images in a blue colored collection ignoring the color label on the images.

A side note about color labels. The ITPC field called “label” is a text field It can contain any text. Lightroom assigns a Color Label Set to associate a defined set of labels to a color set. In the Default Color Label Set, the label value “red” is assigned the red color and the same goes for purple, blue, green and yellow. You could easily create your own labels and you own Color Label Set. For example, I have a color label set where “To Be Worked” is assigned to the purple color and the blue color is assigned to her label “Complete and Published”. Any label value not in the current Color Label Set is defined and other and gets (i forget) either the white label or the gray label.

If I understand, what you want is for any individual image to have one rating or color in one collection and the same image to have a different rating or color when viewed from a different colleciton?

If that's the case, the problem you have run into is that metadta is stored at the image level (think of this as the Folder level) and a colleciton is just a pointer to the image. So, any metadata change you make when viewing the image from any collection or from its folder is reflected in all the others. The work around for this is to create a VC (Virtual copy) for the image. This gives you a new set of metadata for the VC that is seperate from the metadata on the master image (when created the VC gets a copy of the master image metadata). Then place the image in one collection and the VC in the other collection.

But, some things to remember. Other than file image name and folder path the metadata is seperate. So if you add, say, a kw to the master image, that Kw will not automatically show up on the VC and vice-versa. A second thing to remember is that a VC is only inside of LR. Nothing pertaining to the metadata on the VC is ever written to the physical image file (or XMP side car file in the case of proprietary RAW files). So, if you set the master image to 3 stars and the VC to 4 stars, you will never see 4 stars in the external image file unless you export the VC to create a new physical image on disk and that copy will have the 4 stars.
Thank you for the very thorough explanation, I thought it would be that way, I have two choices really, assign a keyword to each group of photos, some will have both keywords, or just simply make different collections, and only use the colour ore as a temporary solution, I can see colour tagging could be very useful, it’s just I wanted it to do more, but there are other ways, thank you

P.S. I was using the Ed label on photos to show I had performed picture editing, which is handy, as what ever collection the photos are in it will remind me.

You can color code Collections (these do not replace individual labels though) You could put images in a red colored Collection and put the same images in a blue colored collection ignoring the color label on the images.

A side note about color labels. The ITPC field called “label” is a text field It can contain any text. Lightroom assigns a Color Label Set to associate a defined set of labels to a color set. In the Default Color Label Set, the label value “red” is assigned the red color and the same goes for purple, blue, green and yellow. You could easily create your own labels and you own Color Label Set. For example, I have a color label set where “To Be Worked” is assigned to the purple color and the blue color is assigned to her label “Complete and Published”. Any label value not in the current Color Label Set is defined and other and gets (i forget) either the white label or the gray label.
Thank you, I dint know I could colour code collections, could be an option, and thanks about the other info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back