• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncronizing Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Just wondering how often people check folder synchronization. Being a bit of a neat freak, I do it fairly regularly. I'm often amazed to find loose imaged that I'm sure I had deleted. Perhaps I hit the wrong button.

Probably not often enough. The problem is reduced if you reserve these image folders for exclusive use by Lightroom Classic. IOW, I only use LrC to manage my image file folders . If Lightroom is the only app that touches these folders, then "deleting" from a collection removes from the collection and not the folder. Deleting form a folder will only remove the image from the catalog if you forget to follow through with the message to delete from the disk too.

Maybe you can help with this issue as well:
I just synchronized my folders for the first time since I got Lightroom 2 years ago. What a nightmare! I went from 25K photos to 65K photos. Now I’m in the process of deleting all the duplicates but I’m wondering if I should be deleting those from the folders or the catalogue. For instance, one image may have 3 copies: one is a .jpg in a dated folder, another one is an edited .tif in a dated folder, and the 3rd has the folder listed as “Catalogue”. Is there any particular one out of these 3 types of images I should be keeping versus deleting?

You are the only one who can decide that. Remember that removing them from the catalog only means they will once again be imported if you ever use ‘synchronize folder’ again on that folder...

Yes, it sneaks up on you.
My personal view is that if you don't want it in your catalogue then you don't really want it so delete it completely. That way your folders will be "clean" and you can regularly do a folder syncronisation to ensure no valued images have dropped out of the catalogue. I was just wonderring how many consider this important. I imagine bussy professionals might consider chasing the rats and mice not warrented.

I only use the “syncronise folder” option if I know I have added images into the folder and now wish to import them to the lightroom catalog.
In any event if you choose to sync a particular folder the images files that are going to be imported will be displayed and you have the choice to import or deselect images you do not wish to import.

thanks for your replies. Gives me things to think about. So just a clarification, if I delete the catalogue version but keep a .jpeg version from another folder, will I still be able to open the picture in Lightroom? Sorry for my confusion, I really don't have a very good concept of file management in LR but I'm trying to learn. I get confused between the "library" and the "catalogue" and what they actually do. Thanks again.

There are multiple articles in the “Blog” section of the webpage. The most important feature in LrC (Classic) app is an understanding of the Catalog file.
All the work you do in LrC is written to the Catalog file. It's the heart of the app.
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-a-lightroom-catalog/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back