• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Syncing LR Classic with LR CC - EASY !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10 Pro Creator

Lightroom Version: LR Classic & LR CC
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem:

Ok after all the initial fuss I finally got down to trying to sync between LR Classic and LR CC. I had read various posts about how to do this and how to do that and decided to give it a go myself.

In LR Classic I use my own filing system. "2017_10_25_ Home" is a typical folder in which my photos reside. This folder is inside a folder named after my camera, in this case "Canon 6D". So I went into LR CC and created a folder "Canon 6D" and inside that folder created another folder called "2017_10_25_ Home".

I went back to LR Classic and created a Collection Set called "Canon 6D" and inside that I created a Collection called "2017_10_25_ Home" with all the photos that reside in that folder. When creating this Collection the check box "Sync with LR CC" was already checked so I left it checked.

In LR CC it starts syncing nicely creating an album called "2017_10_25_ Home". However, the created album is outside of the folder called "Canon 6D", so I simply dragged it to that folder whilst it was syncing.

Hey presto everything syncs nicely !

The best part about this is that when you sync from LR Classic to LR CC the files are "Smart Preview" only, not the original files. This means that it does not count against your measly 20 GB allowance :)

I do not understand what all the fuss has been about ! This seems like a fantastic bit of kit.

Now for my 200 + remaining files :bored::bored:

If you're sure that before trying to sync them you had done Ctrl+S to write to XMP, then I don't know why the metadata isn't syncing....so maybe these "methods" aren't supported by Adobe for a good reason.

Every test I've tried has worked, but my testing probably hasn't been exhaustive. Perhaps drop a couple of original files into Dropbox (or similar), and share the link. I'd be happy to try to figure out why it's not working.

If you're sure that before trying to sync them you had done Ctrl+S to write to XMP, then I don't know why the metadata isn't syncing....so maybe these "methods" aren't supported by Adobe for a good reason.

Every test I've tried has worked, but my testing probably hasn't been exhaustive. Perhaps drop a couple of original files into Dropbox (or similar), and share the link. I'd be happy to try to figure out why it's not working.

Thanks for the offer Jim. I will post a link to some of the originals hopefully this evening.

Thanks Mark, but couldn't see any problem when I synced after importing. Both images in LRCC display the correct number of keywords and the Location data that was stored in the XMP sidecars. Tried on two different systems, same expected result on both.

I can't therefore explain why that data is not syncing for you. Have you tried removing the two images from sync and then re-syncing?

Thanks Mark, but couldn't see any problem when I synced after importing. Both images in LRCC display the correct number of keywords and the Location data that was stored in the XMP sidecars. Tried on two different systems, same expected result on both.

I can't therefore explain why that data is not syncing for you. Have you tried removing the two images from sync and then re-syncing?

Thanks for trying. Yes I have tried completely de-syncing and re-syncing with the same result. Never mind lets see how (and if) things develop.

I am going to try one more thing. I have LR on my laptop which I only use for photos when I’m on holiday. I have already upgraded it to Lr Classic and installed LR cc so I will try to sync those photos with LR cc from there.

I am going to try one more thing. I have LR on my laptop which I only use for photos when I’m on holiday. I have already upgraded it to Lr Classic and installed LR cc so I will try to sync those photos with LR cc from there.

Ok I couldn’t do that because apparently I can only sync from 1 catalog. As a last resort I de-synced, deleted the collection and removed the offending photos from lightroom and then re-imported them, re-created the collection and re-synced.....and finally all the keywords synced :)

I did the same with the album that was syncing unwanted additional keywords and that has resolved itself too. So I am back on track creating collections and syncing to LR CC to replicate my folder structure in LR Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back