• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing Keywords - what is current status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic, LR, latest versions
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Trying to get my head around keywording between LR Classic and LR desktop.

I have some, but not enough, tags applied in LR Classic, including People and Locations. Locations are in a hierarchy.

Is this what happens:
1. LR Classic keywords sync to Cloud/LR and you can see them and delete them in LR desktop (do those changes sync back to LR Classic?)
2. Keywords entered in Lightroom desktop DO NOT go back to LR Classic?
3. Face Identification - not sure if this gets synched, I think yes?

Do the crystal ball gazers think that Adobe will get full sync of Keywords in the future?

Thanks!

Keywords, Location data, Face Tags: none of these sync between Classic and the cloud.

You can effect a one way, one time transfer of keywods and location data from Classic to the cloud (by saving metadata to XMP in Classic before syncing the images to the cloud, but you have to ensure a smart preview does not already exist in Classic when initiating the sync). After that transfer, no changes sync in either direction.

I honestly do not know if Adobe will change their mind about this, but there has been no suggestion that they will.

You can effect a one way, one time transfer of keywods and location data from Classic to the cloud (by saving metadata to XMP in Classic before syncing the images to the cloud, but you have to ensure a smart preview does not already exist in Classic when initiating the sync). After that transfer, no changes sync in either direction.

So if I am seeing some keywords it is only from that first time load, but if I continue to make changes in Classic they won't come over, correct?

Correct.

So if I am seeing some keywords it is only from that first time load, but if I continue to make changes in Classic they won't come over, correct?
Yes, although there is a workaround, as hinted at by Jim above: if you remove the synced image from the cloud, and then sync it again, then the current keywords will be transferred. (Still subject to the proviso that you save metadata to XMP as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back