• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Syncing Exports into Apple Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic/LR latest versions
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Martin Bailey uses Apple Photos as a Portfolio app (vs. in the past he has used dedicated apps). I think he shows people his portfolio on an iPad in person (which maybe is not happening as much anymore). I was curious if anyone here does this or anything similar?

I do like some of Apple Photos display capabilities, like on a map, and also seeing casual iPhone photos and VIDEOS mixed with more produced photos, as well as the AI "Memories" slideshows it creates.

Adobe seems far away from having these same capabilities. It seems very redundant, but does provide some shiny features....

Here is podcast (circa 2019)
https://martinbaileyphotography.com...hotos-on-mac-os-x-and-ipad-rocks-podcast-681/(in this post their is a video to show how it looks, but their is no sound on the video FYI)

I found the Apple Photo environment stifling and difficult to integrate into a Lightroom Classic workflow. Instead I opted for a Lightroom (mobile) app for the phone and sync my iPhone photos directly into Lightroom(mobile) by passing the Apple Photos cloud. In Lightroom Classic I have designated collections that sync to the cloud and these appear as “Albums” in Lightroom Mobile. Photos that I take with the iPhone are synced back automatically to Lightroom Classic. With my IPadPro, I replaced my MBP and import from my camera card into Lightroom (mobile) on the iPadPro and thence back to Lightroom Classic.

I have one Image Management tool (the Lightroom suite) not two. There is not anything that the Apple Photo app can do that I need that can’t be done in the Lightroom world.

I do 100% of what you do, and think the LR ecosystem is very strong. I probably don't do as much wrangling on the LR classic side (I am not on that computer very much)

I am not doing the proposed export to Apple Photos now, just thinking about it.

on iPad
* Photos has a great map view, LR has none
* Photos creates Memories slideshows, LR does not
* When you hit Search in Photos, it brings up "Moments" to include One Year ago today, the Season (i.e. Fall), Trips, Concerts, Sporting Events. Weddings, and a list of common people, and a list of common locations and Categories, all before I even hit the Search button.

The proposed use is as a Portfolio, i.e., a curated set - this is the crux of my problem that needs to be solved with either tool. I don't do enough rating or flagging, so my LR has a lot of sub par pictures to filter out. So the heavy lifting I would have to do whether getting more out of LR iPad or Apple Photos. Some of my collections on LR Classic include all photos from a session, not just the keepers. Maybe that would be an improvement. [Collections where I published to Zenfolio were pared down to keepers, more recently Collections have been a rough organization and not culled]

But I can say, Adobe could well learn a lot from Apple on the consuming of images, whereas obviously Adobe is way better on the Production of images (and Apple pretty much gave up when it killed Aperture).

I’m reconsidering this... on my apple devices, i get Photos popping up my iPhone images but not my LR images. I might just export top 100 from each past year...

I have started doing select exports to Apple Photos. I setup albums in Apple photos and just export top photos (say 50-100) into an album by year. While I do have those also in LR Mobile, there are some small things that Apple photos does that I like, for example having a widget on my iPad home screen that has photos. LR widget can't do this. On an Apple TV, you can make a Photos Album be your screen saver, the LR apple tv app cannot do this.

I am doing a temp export on my mac mini, dragging them into Apple photos, and then deleting the temp export. I think this will support my Instagram flow too (see seperate thread).

My goal is to get my photos out into my life more, and this is helping!

I'll keep this thread up to date as I evolve.

For using Apple Photos on AppleTV.... I recommend having "deeper" albums, for example a specific trip or specific family, and then create a consolidation album that takes highlights from those and maybe excludes certain photos. the photo is only stored once but you can use the consoidation folder for the Apple TV screen saver and then call on the deeper folders when appropriate. As an example I have a deeper set of my wedding photos but only a few highlights in the general album.

(to repeat my earlier post, Slide shows can already be done in the LR AppleTV app, but only Apple Photos can be set as the screensaver, which is the game changer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back