• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing between Different Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanhills50

Lightroom Version Number
8.4.1 and 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have Lightroom Classic 9.3 on an iMac running Mojave and Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 on a MacBook running Sierra. I have synced images on the iMac to the Adobe Cloud. When I try to find the cloud on MacBook there does not appear to be a sync icon in the upper right hand corner although under the Catalogue upper left hand side under 'All synced photographs' there are no images. Why please?

My original thinking was that when I am on holiday say, I could put images on my MacBook from my camera, process them in Lightroom Classic and upload them to the cloud already done for printing when I get home. Does the history and all the meta data changes done in the develop module also go with the image and if so is this all imported to the iMac catalogue please?

I will try some answers-
1) You can only ever sync ONE Lr-Classic catalog to the Cloud ecosystem, that being from the iMac v9.3.
2) Classic 8.4.1 on the Macbook does not have the 'upper-right' sync icon (a new feature in v9.3).
3) You need High Sierra, or better, to upgrade the Macbook to v9.3
4) Because of 1) you will not see 'All synced Photographs' in the Macbook.
5) You would require- macOS v10.13 or later to run the 'Cloud' version 3.3 of Lightroom on the MacBook, if you wanted to sync files from the MacBook via the cloud. (Sierra = v10.12)

With your current hardware & software versions, your one option is- NOT to use Cloud syncing, but instead use 'Import from another Catalog' to merge the MacBook catalog to the iMac catalog when you arrive home.
And, note, this would also require upgrading the MacBook catalog from 8.4.1 to 9.3 before you merge the catalogs.
Merging Catalogs - The Overview | The Lightroom Queen

You can also use Lightroom Cloudy on the mobile computer and this will sync to the cloud and back to you master Lightroom Classic Cataloged on the computer running 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back