• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing and collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Smolensky

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Quick question…

if I edit a photo in a collection, is That edit reflected in the photo that’s in the catalog?

Mark

If you edit a photo that is in the Lightroom Cloud catalog using one of the Lightroom (cloudy) apps, the edit instructions will sync back to the Lightroom Classic catalog.

Is that what you are asking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you edit a photo that is in the Lightroom Cloud catalog using one of the Lightroom (cloudy) apps, the edit instructions will sync back to the Lightroom Classic catalog.

Is that what you are asking?

Not really.

I have LR classic. I have selected a photo in my catalog that’s stored on my hard drive. I added that photo to a collection To be shared on LR cloud.

Now…if I go into the collection to edit that photo on LR classic, I understand that any edits I make will be synced to the cloud.

But,,,will that edited photo in the LR classic collection also sync back to the original photo in the catalog?

But,,,will that edited photo in the LR classic collection also sync back to the original photo in the catalog?
That is precisely what I said. Images in Collection refer to the original image file as referenced by the path stored in the filesystem. You can edit these anywhere you find them and the edit instructions will sync throughout the Lightroom/Lightroom Classic sphere.

Lightroom and Lightroom Classic are non destructive editors, meaning that the original photo never is modified. The Edit instructions are applied only when the image is vies in Lightroom or Lightroom Classic OR when you create a derivated image file using the export process.

It doesn't need to "sync back to the original photo in the catalog", because there is only the one photo in the LrClassic catalog. You can add a photo to as many different collections as you like, but the collection entries are just catalog references to the one original image. Change that image from any of the collections, or from the actual hard drive folder, and you are changing the same single image and so any changes are automatically seen when you view the image in any of the other collections (and also when you view the image from any of the cloudy apps if it is synced to the cloud).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back