• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Synchronize multiple cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jposada01

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Good afternoon. When I shoot music events, I usually shoot with 2 cameras, both 5D3s. One usually has a 24-105 and the other a 70-200. I switch back and forth quickly and often. I try to get the clock setting on both cameras as close to identical as possible. However, a couple of seconds difference on their clocks means that my images are out of order in the sequence. Is there a way of making all settings and clock in one body, then "connect" the two bodies together to synchronize all settings and clock so that they are identical?

No sync, but if you install Canon Utilities (free software that came with your cameras), then you can use your computer to sync the clocks in both cameras to an internet time server. That will do what you want.

No sync, but if you install Canon Utilities (free software that came with your cameras), then you can use your computer to sync the clocks in both cameras to an internet time server.
You can add a GPS to both cameras and the internal camera clock is set to UTC with a relative TimeZone offset to local time.

You can add a GPS to both cameras and the internal camera clock is set to UTC with a relative TimeZone offset to local time.
If the OP wants to add an external GPS, I can highly recommend Solmeta, www.solmeta.com. I use one of their models for Nikon, but they have products for Canon as well.

Phil

Good afternoon. When I shoot music events, I usually shoot with 2 cameras, both 5D3s. One usually has a 24-105 and the other a 70-200. I switch back and forth quickly and often. I try to get the clock setting on both cameras as close to identical as possible. However, a couple of seconds difference on their clocks means that my images are out of order in the sequence. Is there a way of making all settings and clock in one body, then "connect" the two bodies together to synchronize all settings and clock so that they are identical?

Possibly not accurate enough for what you are trying to do, but when I have multiple cameras at an event (including ones that aren't mine but they are going to give me their images), I aim to get everyone to take a picture of the same clock with a sweep second hand. It doesn't matter when in the event they take that picture, I can then align all the cameras to <2 second precision.

Great idea. You could also use a phone clock with a second displayed if you can't find an "analog" clock.

-louie

You can, however it depends on the type of display. Some digital displays are flashing at high speed and the photographic image can be difficult to read to the exact second. Analogue clocks with hands are 'safer' (ie, more reliable) in this usage. I have been known to take my own clock. I have ones linked to the 'atomic clock' radio signal, so they are also accurate to one second. I don't know if other countries outside the UK have a similar scheme.

I have ones linked to the 'atomic clock' radio signal, so they are also accurate to one second. I don't know if other countries outside the UK have a similar scheme.
The US also maintains a time signal to synchronize computers among other things. The smartphone and standalone GPS devices sync to the GPS satellites which intern get their time synchronization from Coordinated Universal Time in Greenwich and Denver. Almost everyone carries a phone with synchronized time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back