• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sync potential issue.. Backed up but have all my storage available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Clulow

Photographer | Retoucher
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
Hi,

So my account is anything but polished as I change so much regularly...
I dont know if this is a bug but it appears that I still have 1TB of available cloud storage even though almost 100% of my 1TB library is apparently backed up.

This is the Finder info for the Lightroom Classic Folder
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 09.59.59.png

This is Lightroom Classic Showing that parent folder with its circa 50k images.
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 10.00.22.png

Here is Classic cloud status
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 10.00.33.png

this is my iPad cloud status
IMG_0837.jpg

On one hand it appears cool to have the extra storage but on another It concerns me to the stability of my account.

I've wiped my library a number of times so I'm curious how this could happen.

One trick I use which may be the culprit is because of the annoyance of not having Collection Sets sync a feature I bypass this to get everything uploaded by creating one master collection that has all my photos in it. That way I maintain the folder structure I want on the go whilst having access to any image I require via a all photos collection.

Thanks,

If you synced those 50k images from Classic (i.e. you did not import them into any of the Cloud apps), then what you see is expected. Classic only syncs Smart Previews of your images to the cloud, and significantly those smart previews are NOT counted against your cloud space allowance.

But previously when I've done this I've maxed out my cloud storage indicating that its uploaded the source image.

If you look at any random image from the Lightroom Mobile app it seems to indicate it is the RAW file and not a smart preview.

anything else I can check?

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 148
That's because the source file in that screenshot IS a raw file (how else could it be named?). In that specific display, tap on the cloud icon and you will be told what type of image (smart preview or original) is stored locally on the device AND in the cloud.

Check also in the Lightroom desktop app, look at the icons bottom right of the thumbnails in the Square Grid....solid with a checkmark means an original is stored in the cloud, hatched means only a smart preview is stored.

Actually just noticed this;

That does say both versions are Local (Smart Preview) & Cloud Backup (Smart Preview).

So basically the original files aren't backed up as they previously were?

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 153
But previously when I've done this I've maxed out my cloud storage indicating that its uploaded the source image.
Perhaps previously you migrated a Classic catalog, which DOES import the originals to the cloud, or perhaps you imported directly into any one of the cliud apps.

Perhaps previously you migrated a Classic catalog, which DOES import the originals to the cloud, or perhaps you imported directly into any one of the cliud apps.
Thanks Jim - You've absolutely educated me here!

So my next question would be can you get your originals in the cloud once its set up this way?

Thanks,

Actually just noticed this;

That does say both versions are Local (Smart Preview) & Cloud Backup (Smart Preview).

So basically the original files aren't backed up as they previously were?
You're correct that any original synced as a smart preview from Classic is not therefore backed up by the Adobe cloud (though of course you should have your own local backups). For a definitive check, open the Lightroom desktop app, click on All Photos, then click on the Filter and select Sync Status from the filter toolbar. Under Sync Status you'll see an option called "Synced from Lightroom Classic", click on that and the grid will populate with any smart previews in your cloud, and it will also tell you how many there are.

So my next question would be can you get your originals in the cloud once its set up this way?

Thanks,

It should be possible to import that Lightroom Classic parent folder into the cloud, and if the images in that parent folder are all currently synced as smart previews then the system should detect that and replace the smart previews with the originals. But be aware that's going to take a very long time to process and upload 50k images, and even then as that isn't an officially supported workflow you may run into issues which might be difficult to sort out.

It should be possible to import that Lightroom Classic parent folder into the cloud, and if the images in that parent folder are all currently synced as smart previews then the system should detect that and replace the smart previews with the originals. But be aware that's going to take a very long time to process and upload 50k images, and even then as that isn't an officially supported workflow you may run into issues which might be difficult to sort out.
Yeah thats fine I understand that. I've done this previously so I'm very aware of the length of time to achieve this. Just having the clarity so I can understand the differences between different initialisation processes yielding different outcomes. I'm probably going to opt for one of those £5 a month unlimited cloud sync services alongside my server system.

Yeah thats fine I understand that. I've done this previously so I'm very aware of the length of time to achieve this. Just having the clarity so I can understand the differences between different initialisation processes yielding different outcomes. I'm probably going to opt for one of those £5 a month unlimited cloud sync services alongside my server system.
For Classic and the rest of your critical user data you need to be running a dedicated system back up. Why aren't you using TimeMachine? You can back up TimeMachine to a dedicated local external disk drive. You can also purchase an Apple Time Capsule and use TimeMachine to back up to the TimeCapsule on your local network. There are cloud based backup services too but you do not need them and probably don't want the hassle of restoring your field computer disk drive from the cloud service. You can choose an offsite backup plan that would allow you to swap out back up hards disks on a regular basis and keep the alternate disk copy at you mom's or girl friend's or any place safe from a fire, flood or pestilence catastrophe at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back