• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Sync LR Mobile with 2 computers, 1 catalog?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version 7.5
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra, iOS
I understand that LR Mobile will only sync with a single LR catalog, so I keep LR Mobile paused on my laptop.

I only use LR Mobile as a vehicle for getting images from my wife's iPhone into LR Classic CC, so I'm wondering if in my use case I can use LR Mobile on two computers (not simultaneously).

I only use LR Classic CC on my laptop when I travel, so taking my cue from John Beardsworth, I update smart previews and copy my desktop LR catalog to the laptop before travel begins, use the laptop for importing and processing images while away, and then copy the catalog back to my desktop upon return. I only have to "find" the photos (in LR on the desktop) that have been synced to the desktop from the laptop via Dropbox.

This works fine for taking photos with my camera (not iDevice) during the trip and getting them back to the desktop upon return.

With respect to LR Mobile and my wife's photos, I tried the following as a trial, and it seemed to work:
  1. Pause LR Mobile on the desktop and move the LR Classic catalog to the laptop
  2. Turn on LR Mobile on the laptop, and sync some photos from my wife's iPhone to the laptop via LR Mobile
  3. On the laptop, move the synced photos to wherever I keep the photos I import from my camera card, so all the photos from the same trip are in the same place on the laptop
  4. Pause LR Mobile on the laptop and move the catalog back to the desktop (and "find" the photos from within LR)
  5. Once I verified that all photos were physically on my desktop, clean out all of the photos from LR Mobile and turn back on LR Mobile syncing from the desktop catalog.
Are there any pitfalls to this that weren't obvious from my trial?

(I have not explored LR CC – not Classic – on the desktop, so I don't know if there is a role for this in my workflow, but I'm not particularly eager to learn another interface unless there is a reason beyond taking care of moving photos from desktop to laptop and back again)