• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sync Issue when Mooving my LRC catalogue to a new user my computer to troubleshoot a mouse issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
HI I am fighting a nasty vanishing mouse pointer issue while using several different programs including LRC & LR. Apple's senior advisor has suggested creating a new "Test" user account on my computer to see if he problem goes away before we reinstall the entire OS. How does renaming and moving a LRC catalogue effect syncing to LR. I am concerned about confusing LR. My understanding is that you can only sync one LRC catalogue at a time with LR

I have a lot of small collections that are synced to LR. Example: Under the dog collection I have about 270 individual collections of dogs. these are synced to LR. After creating and syncing each collection I manually move them in LR into an alphabetical hierarchy set of folders. So a lot could bet mixed up.

I will want to move the catalogue back to my normal user account and delete the test user when finished. I will make sure that all syncing is complete before each moon.

Any advise on this would be appreciated.

As long as you move the Sync.lrdata file that's stored next to the catalog, along with the rest of it, you should have no issues with sync.

That said, if you're having the issue in multiple apps, you could get away with just trying a clean catalog in the Test user account, with a few photos imported, so see if you can still reproduce the problem. No need to move the whole lot until you've confirmed that the clean user account solves the problem.

As long as you move the Sync.lrdata file that's stored next to the catalog, along with the rest of it, you should have no issues with sync.

That said, if you're having the issue in multiple apps, you could get away with just trying a clean catalog in the Test user account, with a few photos imported, so see if you can still reproduce the problem. No need to move the whole lot until you've confirmed that the clean user account solves the problem.
Thank you Victoria: That seems like a very good approach. There is one possible drawback for my workflow. It may not be possible to use LR and LRC together and preserve syncing to my main catalogue & the Test one. . I think my Adobe subscriptions only lets LR sync to one catalogue.

In my workflow I often work on LRC creating synced collections. Then I go to LR on my wife's computer to move those collections into alphabetic folders. I make it a point not to do not LR & LRC open at the same time on my computer. Sometimes I have LR on my iPad open as I work on LRC to see what is happening. It would be nice to have LR synced with the test Catalogue. Is ther a way to preserve the sync data for my normal catalogue while I use the test one?

My 'take' on your description of a mouse "Test" procedure- (as given by Victoria)
1) Don't touch or change the location of your master 'synced' Classic Catalog.
2) Test general mouse usage in a new User Account in the Mac.
3) Test the mouse in the new User Account with a new Classic Catalog, but-
4) Do NOT sync this new temporary 'test' catalog.
5) If this fixes the mouse, then consider moving the master catalog to the new account.

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind Rob. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back