• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Super Resolution Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
With certain images, Super Resolution crashes my PC. I mean, the whole PC crashes. Granted, it's an old clunker of a PC but in other respects it runs LrC and Ps perfectly. It happens on certain images only. I can't be sure but I think it happens more on images with a lot of detail or noise. Other than buying a new PC, more memory and a more powerful graphics card, are there any tweaks or workflow changes I could try?

The Super Resolution capability is limited by your hardware and the freespace for temporary files. You probably just ran out of room. Increasing the freespace by deleting some unnecessary files on your primary disk would be a start. The system should not crash but LrC should warn you when it can’t complete the task.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I take your point. I'm sure it's something like that but the primary drive has 127GB free. There is some other limitation somewhere but I don't know what.

I feel your pain. I'm using an older configuration. I can't use the latest version of PS because my video card only has 1.5GB instead of the minimum 2GB.

i agree with what you and Cletus are looking at which is a resource issue. A couple of suggestions.
  • If this is easily reproducible, open Task Manager, start a Super Resoulition, toggle to TM and watch resource consumption.
  • I just discovered the Reliability Feature of Windows in this article. It may point you to some useful information.

I feel your pain. I'm using an older configuration. I can't use the latest version of PS because my video card only has 1.5GB instead of the minimum 2GB.

i agree with what you and Cletus are looking at which is a resource issue. A couple of suggestions.
  • If this is easily reproducible, open Task Manager, start a Super Resoulition, toggle to TM and watch resource consumption.
  • I just discovered the Reliability Feature of Windows in this article. It may point you to some useful information.
That Reliability Feature is a great find. It shows the sorry state of my machine. Unfortunately the output is in tech gobbledygook but gratifyingly it notes that a report has been set so perhaps one day some techy minion might take notice if enough come through. For what it's worth, here is the report. It might give someone a clue to the problem. It states, "Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AdobeGCClient\AGSService.exe". I checked the path and it's fine. Maybe I should reinstall but that in itself holds dangers.

"Source
Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎29/‎01/‎2022 9:00 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AdobeGCClient\AGSService.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AGSService.exe
Application Version: 7.6.0.52
Application Timestamp: 619c5054
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.1466
Fault Module Timestamp: 9012d056
Exception Code: c0000005"
Exception Offset: 00047857
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: e2a5
Additional Information 2: e2a5934c14e66921972cbe137a4819ff
Additional Information 3: 34cd
Additional Information 4: 34cd06e78e1752a7a926a177deee8c3a

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: a17679819e3707728d9137942706329a (2130545208172360346)"

I suspect that this may not be the program that causes the crash. As identified it's the "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service". I suspect it failed as part of the crash but it was the last thing that could be recorded.

The only other choice, outside of watching resources on the Task Manager, is to dig through the Event Viewer which is not a simple task. Here's an example of reporting a CRITICAL error from the System Logs.

1643409662646.png

I suspect that this may not be the program that causes the crash. As identified it's the "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service". I suspect it failed as part of the crash but it was the last thing that could be recorded.

The only other choice, outside of watching resources on the Task Manager, is to dig through the Event Viewer which is not a simple task. Here's an example of reporting a CRITICAL error from the System Logs.

View attachment 18041
Invoked the Task Manager as suggested. During Super Resolution, the CPU runs at 95+%, memory ~50%, GPU 1%, for a few minutes then it crashes. So it seems my humble Intel Core i7 2.93GHz processor might not be up to it.

So it seems my humble Intel Core i7 2.93GHz processor might not be up to it
True, but LrC should not crash your PC. You are still within the minimum requirements for LrC except for potentially your GPU which you haven't stated. I would expect it should come up with an error such as 'An unknown error occurred' which seems standard for (what I assume) are other resource constraints such as HDR. See this posting on how to submit one if you are interested.

Invoked the Task Manager as suggested. During Super Resolution, the CPU runs at 95+%, memory ~50%, GPU 1%, for a few minutes then it crashes. So it seems my humble Intel Core i7 2.93GHz processor might not be up to it.
Did I miss where you posted about the amount of memory in your system? I haven't used this feature yet, but I am just guessing here that Super Resolution wants another big chunk of main memory, and your system can't supply that much. So instead of failing "gracefully" with an informative error message, you get a crash instead.

Also have you checked the setting for max amount of virtual memory. Try raising that by at least as much as your system's main memory. Be sure that the drive holding the virtual memory file has enough free space.

Did I miss where you posted about the amount of memory in your system? I haven't used this feature yet, but I am just guessing here that Super Resolution wants another big chunk of main memory, and your system can't supply that much. So instead of failing "gracefully" with an informative error message, you get a crash instead.

Also have you checked the setting for max amount of virtual memory. Try raising that by at least as much as your system's main memory. Be sure that the drive holding the virtual memory file has enough free space.
I have 16GB of RAM. Task manager reports only ~50% of RAM is used.

True, but LrC should not crash your PC. You are still within the minimum requirements for LrC except for potentially your GPU which you haven't stated. I would expect it should come up with an error such as 'An unknown error occurred' which seems standard for (what I assume) are other resource constraints such as HDR. See this posting on how to submit one if you are interested.
The GPU is a Nvidia GeForce GT710 with 2GB. Task Manager reports only ~1% of the GPU is used while running Super Resolution.

The GPU is a Nvidia GeForce GT710 with 2GB. Task Manager reports only ~1% of the GPU is used while running Super Resolution.
That GPU was low-end even when it was released, and NVidia stopped issuing driver updates several years ago.

While you could buy just a new GPU, because of chip shortages and crypto miners, GPU prices are 2-3X recommended retail prices or more. You would probably do much better to buy a new system with a mid-range CPU bundled with an NVidia 3060 (or better) GPU.

Update!
I opened the PC to see if there were any issues. Ran Super Resolution and lo and behold it worked. It was a considerably cooler day than before and I notices the input air filters were quite clogged. I cleaned it all up, put it together and it still competed Super Resolution, a number of times. So it seems my poor little CPU was just running too hot. Fingers crossed that that's all it was and not something more sinister.

Fingers crossed that that's all it was and not something more sinister.
Good to hear. It can be challenging keeping older, but useable gear, running.

I just spotted this conversation.

Delighted you found a solution.

1. For future consideration.
I was going to suggest that you check this Camera Raw cache setting. I am not sure if it applies to High Res processing, but with raw files getting bigger and bigger, plus use of panorama, hdr etc...I think it is worth checking and making sure that this cache option has plenty of space specified.

1643899481038.png

2. Overheating.
This will become an increasing issue as processors become substantially faster and also GPU's are used more intensively. Further, the really fast Nvme / Pcie SSD cards can generate a lot of current draw across the mother board and a lot of heat.
In my recent build, I purchased a motherboard which I knew was designed to cater for high heat bandwidth between the Pcie slots, cpu and gpus.
While I am mainly a Windows based user, I do admire the new architecture of the Apple CPU/GPU processors which minimise the movement of data between GPU and CPU. Complements to Apple to have the conviction and ability to develop this architecture.

I just spotted this conversation.

Delighted you found a solution.

1. For future consideration.
I was going to suggest that you check this Camera Raw cache setting. I am not sure if it applies to High Res processing, but with raw files getting bigger and bigger, plus use of panorama, hdr etc...I think it is worth checking and making sure that this cache option has plenty of space specified.

View attachment 18078
2. Overheating.
This will become an increasing issue as processors become substantially faster and also GPU's are used more intensively. Further, the really fast Nvme / Pcie SSD cards can generate a lot of current draw across the mother board and a lot of heat.
In my recent build, I purchased a motherboard which I knew was designed to cater for high heat bandwidth between the Pcie slots, cpu and gpus.
While I am mainly a Windows based user, I do admire the new architecture of the Apple CPU/GPU processors which minimise the movement of data between GPU and CPU. Complements to Apple to have the conviction and ability to develop this architecture.
Took your advice and upped the cache from 20 to 100GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back