Not open for further replies.

magician john

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System:High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):LR Classic

I have some bird photos that on my iMac look like they are in the sunshine.
When they print on Epson Glossy Paper on my Epson xp 760 printer, they look more like it was a cloudy day.
The screen brightness is set to only 4 (out of 16) so not due to excessive brightness on my screen.
If I increase the Exposure on the birds, yes they get lighter, but still don't look like they are in the sunshine and looked slightly washed out. (I use this phrase just to give you an idea of what I mean although not really washed out)

How would I increase the sunshine on the birds in Develop so almost overdoing it on the screen and hopefully print the photos looking like they were in the sunshine?

How can I replicate the sunshine more when I print or keep the sunshine when I print the photos?

thanks

p.s. I wasn't sure whether this should have been sent to the Output Module, and when choosing that Module, came up with an Error message couldn't find, so carried on sending to Develop Module.

I still think that the core of your problem is not using a good monitor profile.

However, it could be helpful if you posted one of the raw files where you are having a problem. If you export it as a DNG and make sure you save your ACR settings we can also see what develop settings are that you are using.

I'm not sure the best sharing service to use. It could be a public folder in DropBox.

Perhaps there something in there that is making the problem worse.

-louie

Tony, When I have the image in soft proof mode there is no out of gamut colouring red or blue at all, and when viewed side by side, they are identical.(well as good as so). A lot has been mentioned about soft proofing and I have taken onboard the constructive help that has been offered and have learnt a lot from it. As the images look comparable, with no gamut colouring showing, this surely suggests that by further soft proofing alone,the situation will not be resolved?

I have been watching this thread and the advice you are getting is very good. However, I am wondering if you have got something more fundamental wrong. Not using LR at all, can you print a jpeg to your printer and get a reasonable output? Now open that same jpeg in LR and print it? Is it any good? Sure you should calibrate the monitor and fix out of gamut colours, but if you have a gross error then until you fix that, those things are likely to make the matter not much better. Once you can get a reasonable print doing simple things, then you should start to correct what is discussed here. To start with (and I am going to get a lot of flak for this), I suggest you run sRGB everywhere. Once you can get sRGB prints working well and understand how to do the rest, then start to use the full capabilities of other colour spaces.

Tony, When I have the image in soft proof mode there is no out of gamut colouring red or blue at all, and when viewed side by side, they are identical.(well as good as so). A lot has been mentioned about soft proofing and I have taken onboard the constructive help that has been offered and have learnt a lot from it. As the images look comparable, with no gamut colouring showing, this surely suggests that by further soft proofing alone,the situation will not be resolved?
I don't see the problem as being out-of-gamut colours at all.
A big part of the issue is the loss of contrast in a print as compared to the same image being displayed by a monitor.
Soft-proofing is key to dealing with this issue.

The more I think of it, the clearer it is to me that we need to see the raw image in order to truly understand the issues as the OP sees them. Without any of us having an opportunity to manipulate this image in Lightroom all the advice we are giving is just theoretical...

Tony Jay

Looking at this from another angle...magician john, if you look at the photo in Develop and move the pointer over the bright areas that are in sunshine, what are the RGB values displayed under the histogram? Are they around 90-100%, 70-90%, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back