Suddenly some of my RAW + JPG combo i. My catalog changed to XMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakaduyu

Lightroom Version Number
V.4
Operating System
I'm running LR 4 with a Mac 10.11. Suddenly I found some od my photos in my catalog sp the RAW & JPG combo changed the JPG files to XMP.

When double click it doesn't open. If I right click it, it shows "Open with" Adobe PS which seldom use it. I then select LR. It will open LR but all thumbnails are greyed out in the Import module.

But when I click a thumbnail it will show the complete image. At bottom of page it shows (This photos is already in the catalog.). I have deselected XMP and EXIf.

Why this happens to some files? I checked the same files in my backup drive and the JPG REMAINED THE SAME. It didnt changed to XMP.

Does anybody has any suggestions

JPG files cannot be "changed" to XMP files!
JPG files are 'image' files with image data.
XMP files are only 'text' files with information about metadata and Adobe software edits.
Lightroom ('old' v4 and Lightroom-Classic v10.0) can 'Save' the edits and metadata to RAW files in a sidecar XMP file. So Lightroom (or even other software) is creating the XMPs from the RAWs. (Not from JPGs)

You cannot use a File Browser to select an image file and "Open With" to see it in Lightroom. Lightroom is a 'Database' program and will only 'Open' Catalog files with the .LRCAT file type.

You can only Import a photo file to the Lightroom Catalog ONCE. Trying to Import a file a second time will always report- " already in the catalog ".

I-See-Light is entirely correct. It makes no difference that your system is set to open these in Ps, most of us set this to Preview, but it doesn't affect what goes on in Lr.

Lr cannot change files from JPG to XMP. XMP is simply a sidecar file as stated, written on demand from some programs (probably in your case by Lightroom) - check Preferences 'auto write to XMP' or perhaps you did a Cmd+S on some files) and is not connected in any form to JPG. If the JPG isn't there then that's for some other reason.

Grayed out in Import indicates it's already in the catalog as the message stated.

So, not really sure what the question is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back