• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Sudden Onset of Frequent Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanevery

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Five days ago I began having frequent computer crashes while using Lightroom Classic, latest version available through CC. I had never had any trouble running LR or PS on this machine, a 2012 mac mini with 16 gig ram, fusion drive, running High Sierra. In fact I've never had any trouble on this machine at all until now. The initial crash occurred while keywording batches of images. Most of the crashes begin with Lightroom hanging up, unable to load from a preview, gray boxes where some images should be, spinning beach ball while selecting multiple preview images. But some occur while Lightroom is running but not active. Sometimes Lightroom crashes without taking down the computer and in those cases I get a message that Lightroom is having problems reading from the preview cache and must quit. But most of the time, it goes directly into a full fledged computer crash/restart. Sometimes it will restart multiple times. Chat support from Adobe has failed to solve the problem. Adobe support removed and reinstalled the Creative Cloud desktop apps, reset permissions and did some tinkering in preferences including turning off graphics processor, to no avail. Nothing new has been installed on the machine since the latest version of LRClassic in April, except for those CC desktop aps that were reinstalled and update themselves. No new external drives have been added and no changes in the system have occurred on my end. Apple utilities do not indicate a hardware problem. I am looking for other ideas I can try.

Ahh! Thanks for this. I’m on a relatively new solid state internal disk with 500GB free - it should be OK, but I’ll test LR with different catalogue on alternative HD and see if problem persists or not. I’ll also disable Adobe UpdateStartupUtility and test - presumably this just checks if an update to version currently running is available. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back