• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Print module Strategy for Back-Printing Caption Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgwalter

John G. Walter
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have minimal experience printing directly from Lightroom. But, what I would like to do, is figure out a way to print caption information on the back of photos. I've done this a bit by creating a separate image file in Photoshop with only text, importing it into Lightroom, and saving it in a collection with the intended image. This works but is very cumbersome.

It would be ideal to be able to gather the metadata that is in the image file for this purpose. The Print Module contains a 'Photo Info' button just for that purpose, but it, of course, prints out with the image on the same side of the paper.

I'm looking for suggestions on a workflow to be able to first print the image, then reprint the 'photo info' on the reverse.

I have minimal experience printing directly from Lightroom. But, what I would like to do, is figure out a way to print caption information on the back of photos. I've done this a bit by creating a separate image file in Photoshop with only text, importing it into Lightroom, and saving it in a collection with the intended image. This works but is very cumbersome.

It would be ideal to be able to gather the metadata that is in the image file for this purpose. The Print Module contains a 'Photo Info' button just for that purpose, but it, of course, prints out with the image on the same side of the paper.

I'm looking for suggestions on a workflow to be able to first print the image, then reprint the 'photo info' on the reverse.

I was faced with this same dilemma. It can’t be done within Lightroom because it involves printing text on the back. The solution that i settled upon was the “Photo Info” field.
I print “borderless” with the exception of the bottom edge. If I choose a 6pt/ font size the information prints very small but readable and if mounting the print the Matte covers and hides the “Print Info” Field. The information is preserved with the print so that I have information available on the paper to reprint if needed or info about the subject matter of the print (Caption)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was faced with this same dilemma. It can’t be done within Lightroom because it involves printing text on the back. The solution that i settled upon was the “Photo Info” field.
I print “borderless” with the exception of the bottom edge. If I choose a 6pt/ font size the information prints very small but readable and if mounting the print the Matte covers and hides the “Print Info” Field. The information is preserved with the print so that I have information available on the paper to reprint if needed or info about the subject matter of the print (Caption)

Yes, the 'Photo Info' field seems like the way to go, as it has all the tools to pull data from the already present meta fields. Unfortunately, I need it on the back, which in my case, is probably most of the time.

What prompted this request, was just a delivery of a couple of small prints. And, from my background as a life-long photojournalist, my motto has always been..... while a "picture may be worth a thousand words", it is worthless without a caption. My 'super-hero' name is 'Cutline'. :)

A few weeks ago, I created a bunch of 5X7 Notecards. Printing on the front and back. I created them as separate .psd files in Photoshop, imported them into Lightroom, and produced the prints via LR's Print Module. Worked great, and they are now part of my LR catalog.

I think this link might work as an example? John G. Walter

For today's problem, I simply typed up something in a word processor and printed it out. But, that doesn't really automate anything.

Thanks for your help.

I use Cletus approach and print a very small file name on each picture. Personally, I also would not want to place a newly printed image in face down to print on the back.

Somewhere, I think in one of the threads here, someone suggested setting up a Slideshow template with the information you need. Copy the image and paste it into a label like Avery and print it. Here's an example but I haven't tried that yet.

Also depending on use, check for museum quality labels to print out on.

1594320835067.png

Here's something that just tested and seems to work. There are several steps but it may be easier

1) In LR print module, print the images with no text as normal
2) In LR print module, turn on Print Info as desired but this time print to JPG files in a folder
3) Now go to M/S PowerPoint and create a presentation from the folder containing the images with text.
4) remove the "album" title slide if one was automatically created
5) On the slides draw a white filled, borderless rectangle over the image portion of each page the image itself basically disappears leaving only the text
6) Put the already printed images in the feeder of the printer, back side up and and the correct order and print the PowerPoint on the backs

If you have a duplex (2 sided printer), you can print the fronts to JPG as well then arrange the pairs of images in PowerPoint and print 2 sided.

Anyway, just an idea.

Yes, the 'Photo Info' field seems like the way to go, as it has all the tools to pull data from the already present meta fields. Unfortunately, I need it on the back, which in my case, is probably most of the time.
A few weeks ago, I created a bunch of 5X7 Notecards. Printing on the front and back. I created them as separate .psd files in Photoshop, imported them into Lightroom, and produced the prints via LR's Print Module. Worked great, and they are now part of my LR catalog.

As I said initially, There is nothing in Lightroom to automate this task. I like Pauls idea of printing twice. Once with no info and a second time with the detail text (still on the front) You can sandwich the two images together anyway that you like.

“Print Info”, as I described its use, works to meet my needs . If your workflow demands it, then a convoluted manual process if what you have.

As I said initially, There is nothing in Lightroom to automate this task. I like Pauls idea of printing twice. Once with no info and a second time with the detail text (still on the front) You can sandwich the two images together anyway that you like.

“Print Info”, as I described its use, works to meet my needs . If your workflow demands it, then a convoluted manual process if what you have.

I think I figured out a somewhat workable solution to my problem. I haven't tweaked the details yet, mostly because of my lack of understanding of the Print Module in general. But, it has worked for my immediate issue. Below are the steps.

1. Create a blank canvas in Photoshop. Details don't seem important, except for the crop ratio, which I think needs to match the finished print. I needed a 5X7 landscape. Most of my images are cropped to a 2:3 ratio, but I often print 5X7's or 8X10's, which don't match. However, I think it is the size of the print that matters. I would need a blank canvas for each possible size, and probably versions in portrait and landscape?

2. Import the blank canvas into a handy LR location.

3. Create 'Virtual copies' for each print to be made, and place those in the collection that contains the front-side print details.

4. Sync the metadata of the front-side image with the blank canvas.

5. Select the 'Photo Info' button in the Print Module with a custom preset containing the desired data.

This seems to work, however, I have not determined how to format the resulting text, and I have noticed that the 'Photo Info' button doesn't even appear on some print templates. I was using a 2-up 7X5, printing on 8 1/2 X 11 paper, and the option did not appear. When I switched to a single print, it did, but that wouldn't work, because it would need to match the layout of the front-side image. Again, my lack of understanding of the Print Module.

While it seems that most print runs are sort of 'one-off', this method still does not seem too labor-intensive. And in this case, the image was the second time in a couple of years that I printed for distribution, so having this data saved in with the image in a collection would have been very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back