• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Strange problem when computer wakens from sleep mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifer

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I keep my Lightroom Classic catalog on an SSD external drive. If I leave LRC open and put my computer to sleep, then on waking up I get a message in LR that it experienced an error reading the catalog and has to shut down. When I restart LRC it checks the integrity of the catalog, then starts up normally with no errors. I have tried two different external SSD drives with exactly the same result. Interestingly my system drive is also an SSD, and if I move my catalog to that drive, then no issues arise. I prefer to use the external drive because I have to sometimes use my laptop away from home, and using an external drive for the catalog makes that easier.
I don't even know if this is a LR problem or a Windows problem, but wondered if anyone else had come across this.
I suppose that one way to avoid this is to shut LR down before putting my computer to sleep, but I don't see that this should be necessary.
Any suggestions?

As no one else has responded, One thought is that LR performs some tasks in the background. If you put your computer to sleep right after doing some operations in LrC, it's possible that background tasks have not yet completed. I suggest that It is a better idea to close LrC first, then shut down or sleep your computer. If you want to continue sleeping your computer with LrC open, then you may want to wait a few minutes after your last LrC action before you put it do bed.

You can also set Windows to automatically put the computer to sleep after a designated period of non-use time. Set that time to, say, 10 minutes then rather than putting it to sleep manually, just walk away.

Do you have hard disks going to sleep if idle? These need to wake up when the screen does or never sleep until the computer does.

Are you operating under battery power alone? If you are not needing to be on battery power, why put the computer to sleep at all? My desktop runs 7X24X. Stopping only for an occasional reboot, I put the screen to sleep after 15min. If your computer is asleep, when do you back up?

Thanks Califdan.
I did say that I could avoid the problem by shutting down LRC first, so that may be the simplest answer.
I will try the delayed shutdown to sleep mode to see if that makes a difference.
It is still odd that the problem only arises with external SSD drives but not with my internal SSD drive.

Do you have hard disks going to sleep if idle? These need to wake up when the screen does or never sleep until the computer does.

Are you operating under battery power alone? If you are not needing to be on battery power, why put the computer to sleep at all? My desktop runs 7X24X. Stopping only for an occasional reboot, I put the screen to sleep after 15min. If your computer is asleep, when do you back up?
Thanks Cletus.
This is a desktop computer. I don't see the point of keeping it on when I am not using it for perhaps several hours.
I'm not sure why you asking when I backup. I backup my LR catalog at least once a week, and I backup my data drive (pictures, documents, etc) every week or 10 days. What other backup is there, other than perhaps my system drive?

Thanks Cletus.
This is a desktop computer. I don't see the point of keeping it on when I am not using it for perhaps several hours.
I'm not sure why you asking when I backup. I backup my LR catalog at least once a week, and I backup my data drive (pictures, documents, etc) every week or 10 days. What other backup is there, other than perhaps my system drive?

The reason that I ask is that my backups occur over night. My backups are automatic and TimeMachine backup every file that needs refreshing.

The reason that I leave my computer on 7X24 is to sync with Lightroom. I may sync from the field and my Lightroom images are cataloged in LrC by the time I get home. My computer consumes very little power when the screen is off.

If you don’t see a point of keeping the computer on, you should do a regular shutdown so that the computer is not consuming any power. It still consumes a trickle amount of power in Sleep mode. If you do a regular shutdown, Lightroom will write all of the files that don’t get updated right away, disks will write their cache to disk before shutting down properly and ALL open files will get closed naturally. IOW, the problems that you are experiencing will go away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be that Windows wakes up LRC before it reconnects to your external drives. Lightroom looks for its catalogue and gets no response because the drive is still "sleeping."

You could try Hibernating rather than Sleeping and see if that makes a difference.

The reason that I ask is that my backups occur over night. My backups are automatic and TimeMachine backup every file that needs refreshing.

The reason that I leave my computer on 7X24 is to sync with Lightroom. I may sync from the field and my Lightroom images are cataloged in LrC by the time I get home. My computer consumes very little power when the screen is off.

If you don’t see a point of keeping the computer on, you should do a regular shutdown so that the computer is not consuming any power. It still consumes a trickle amount of power in Sleep mode. If you do a regular shutdown, Lightroom will write all of the files that don’t get updated right away, disks will write their cache to disk before shutting down properly and ALL open files will get closed naturally. IOW, the problems that you are experiencing will go away.

I don't do that sort of backup, so no need to leave the computer on all the time. I also don't use Lightroom, just Classic.
As I said in my initial post, I do know that if I close LRC before putting the computer to sleep, then the problem doesn't arise, so that is the easy solution.
From what I have read, leaving a computer on uses anywhere from 10-30 times more power than using sleep mode.
What is still a mystery is why the problem only happens if my catalog is located on my external SSDs, but not on an internal SSD.

It could be that Windows wakes up LRC before it reconnects to your external drives. Lightroom looks for its catalogue and gets no response because the drive is still "sleeping."

You could try Hibernating rather than Sleeping and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks, that actually makes sense. I guess that it is possible that my internal drive wakes up before my external drives. I may just give hibernating a try, although I do like the speed of starting up from sleep mode compared to hibernation.

I do like the speed of starting up from sleep mode compared to hibernation.
I do too, and my computer sleeps rather than hibernates. On the other hand, waking from hibernation is probably quicker than opening LRC. You'd have to check that.

From what I have read, leaving a computer on uses anywhere from 10-30 times more power than using sleep mode.
What is still a mystery is why the problem only happens if my catalog is located on my external SSDs, but not on an internal SSD.
Turning the computer off instead of putting the computer to sleep uses zero power. Sleep mode still consumes power. Hal is probably right that Windows wake up one disk at a time. As LrC is on the primary disk, it wakes up and starts looking for the EHD before Windows wakes up the EHD. My advice still stands. Do a proper shutdown everytime you are going to be not using the computer for any length of time.

As for me choosing to run 7X24, I have my own oil well.

Turning the computer off instead of putting the computer to sleep uses zero power. Sleep mode still consumes power. Hal is probably right that Windows wake up one disk at a time. As LrC is on the primary disk, it wakes up and starts looking for the EHD before Windows wakes up the EHD. My advice still stands. Do a proper shutdown everytime you are going to be not using the computer for any length of time.

As for me choosing to run 7X24, I have my own oil well.
Each to his own I guess. I prefer Sleep mode because of the time saved when starting up. It is probably faster to shut down LRC each time since it only takes about 15 -20 seconds for it to restart compared to more than a minute for my computer to start up from total shutdown.
Good luck with that oil well!

Each to his own I guess. I prefer Sleep mode because of the time saved when starting up.
For the same reason, I run 7X24 and just wake up the monitor that consumes almost all of the power the computer uses.

This is a follow up to my earlier posts.
I made a couple of changes to my power options in Windows 10, and since the change was made, it seems that I no longer have the problem of Lightroom quitting when my desktop wakes up from sleep mode.
Some changes were minor, such as changing how long the monitor and hard drive had to be inactive before the computer went into sleep mode. The significant change, I believe was changing the power plan from AMD Ryzen balanced to AMD Ryzen high performance. I have put the computer to sleep several times since making the change, and not once did Lightroom shutdown when the computer awoke.
I doubt that this is a coincidence, but I can't explain why this worked.

I think that a computer wakes up by making the OS wakeup, before the external disks are accessable. it has nothing to do with Windows or Mac.

I think that a computer wakes up by making the OS wakeup, before the external disks are accessable. it has nothing to do with Windows or Mac.

There is the BIOS, which is a bit of code embedded in the Mother board on (I think) the CPU. What ever electro mechanical event wakes the BIOS and the Bios then Opens the primary drive to read what ever files it needs to run the OS and/or last memory image. The OS searches in an order the ports for attached disks.

There is the BIOS, which is a bit of code embedded in the Mother board on (I think) the CPU. What ever electro mechanical event wakes the BIOS and the Bios then Opens the primary drive to read what ever files it needs to run the OS and/or last memory image. The OS searches in an order the ports for attached disks.

This is an interesting discussion. I'm sure that your description is correct when a computer is turned on. However, I don't know if the BIOS comes into play when a computer wakes up from sleep mode - and I can't seem to find any information about what actually happens when a computer comes out of sleep mode. Perhaps someone smarter than me knows the answer to that. Not that it matters, but the BIOS settings are stored on a ROM chip on the motherboard, and sleep mode saves the last settings of the computer in RAM (which is why waking up from sleep mode is fast). From what I have read, the main function of the BIOS is to enable the operating system (Windows 10 in my case) to start. Once that has happened, the BIOS is more or less irrelevant. That suggests to me that waking from sleep mode has nothing to do with the BIOS. That doesn't mean that Windows doesn't check the system disk first, then any external drives, but I could well be wrong!
What I don't understand is why changing the power options from balanced to performance appears to have solved my problem with Lightroom shutting down.

What I don't understand is why changing the power options from balanced to performance appears to have solved my problem with Lightroom shutting down.
Changes in power options, especially on Windows laptops, can have a huge impact on machines. The performance setting probably provides power to parts of the machine that balanced does not during sleep or hibernating states.

--Ken

Changes in power options, especially on Windows laptops, can have a huge impact on machines. The performance setting probably provides power to parts of the machine that balanced does not during sleep or hibernating states.

--Ken
Although I am using a desktop, I'm sure that you are correct. However it is almost impossible to find good information about balanced vs performance settings. One thing I read said that the performance setting keeps the CPU running at full power all of the time, while balanced throttles it back when needed, thus saving energy.

Although I am using a desktop, I'm sure that you are correct. However it is almost impossible to find good information about balanced vs performance settings. One thing I read said that the performance setting keeps the CPU running at full power all of the time, while balanced throttles it back when needed, thus saving energy.
This is correct, but there are other settings, and you are correct that it is hard to find what they are. Your manufacturer might have more information, or if you post on any of their forums, somebody might be able to elaborate.

--Ken

This is correct, but there are other settings, and you are correct that it is hard to find what they are. Your manufacturer might have more information, or if you post on any of their forums, somebody might be able to elaborate.

--Ken
I am actually just happy that my problem seems to be solved, so I don't think I will go down that rabbit hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back