Strange LR JPG export dull colours vs Photoshop exported JPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scuba_suzy

I’ve been looking for a place to ask this question and perhaps this is it. Its a bit difficult to explain because I don’t have a concrete example to show you here (at work). And I’m a LR newbie :|

What is the diff between the JPGs exported from Lightroom & the JPGs exported by Bridge/PS3? I have this weird issue that is sort of stopping me want to transfer fully over to LR. In theory they should be the same, Raw+XMP in ACR in PS or LR right? But when LR renders & exports the JPG it seems dull and lacklustre compared with the same Raw+XMP opened in PS3. Is this a colour space issue? A ACR issue? It is most apparent once the JPG is them shrunk to a thumbnail. Maybe its a different type of JPG or something?

Here is sort of an example... see the 1st three images in this gallery...
http://www.pbase.com/suzy_walker/redsea2''9

the 1st one is LR rendered ACR opened in PS3 and exported as a JPG. The thumbnail here looks the same as the larger version (when you click the image)
the second and third images are exported as JPGs straight from LR. Notice that the thumbnail image is much more dull than the larger image (when you click the image).

Does anyone know what could be causing this? The same process auto generates the thumbnails (on upload to pbase) so it must be some difference in the JPG.

Many thanks

Suzy

I downloaded the thump + the large of the snapper and the thumb + the large of Hooked.

Snapper thumb has no embedded profile
Snapper large has the sRGB profile embedded
Hooked thumb has no proflle
Hooked large has the ProPhoto profile embedded.

My first suggestion is to make sure that both thumb and large has the same profile and that no photo ever should be on the web with the ProPhoto profile. Try to embed sRGB into all or no profile at all.

In LR and in PS you can choose which profile (colorspace) to embed at export.

// Bosse

Hi Bosse

I think maybe you cracked it. :icon_biggrin: Looks like photoshop is doing it correctly (Snapper large is from PS and Hooked Large is from LR). So how can I change what is embedded by LR?

Many thanks

Suzy

In LR you choose the profile on export. Under File > export and in the dialog "File settings" you can choose format (jpg) and color space (sRGB).

Just make sure that your thumnailphoto also get the same profile. Otherwise they may look different when viewing through a webbrowser. The problem here is that different browsers and different operating systems treat jpgs differently depending on if they are tagged or not. And you can never know what combination the viewer has. Therefore always embed all photos going to the web with sRGB. In that way the viewers browser/OP-combo has a chance.

// Bosse

[quote author=Bosse link=topic=8833.msg59359#msg59359 date=12627'8185]
I downloaded the thump + the large of the snapper and the thumb + the large of Hooked.

Snapper thumb has no embedded profile
Snapper large has the sRGB profile embedded
Hooked thumb has no proflle
Hooked large has the ProPhoto profile embedded.

My first suggestion is to make sure that both thumb and large has the same profile and that no photo ever should be on the web with the ProPhoto profile. Try to embed sRGB into all or no profile at all.

In LR and in PS you can choose which profile (colorspace) to embed at export.

// Bosse
[/quote]

Nailed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back