Strange export to JPG issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Haggis

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi,
I've just been processing some images and thought I'd post them to a forum I belong to. Most exported fine, but 1 image seems to be giving LR problems (and me!!). I have a preset that saves as JPG, max size 150k, sRGB and longest edge 800px. When I try the export I get a message saying 'Couldn't create a JPEG that met your limit of 150k bytes (1)'
I thought maybe it was because the CR2 file was slightly larger than others I'd exported (24.43Mb) so upped the limit to 200k. This time it did export but the file size was 62.34k!! This is too small to be any use when I'm asking for critique and it's happened several times as I have closed LR and re-opened it in the hope that it would behave itself! :bluegrin:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Trevor,
I tried replicating what you describe without success. Would you post a screen capture of your export settings, in particular with the File settings, Image Sizing and Metadata sections expanded such in this example ? I'd also would like to know if the metadata of this particular picture has any significant differences. Screen Shot 2012-07-08 at 12.35.02.png

Hi Bob, Thanks for replying.
Here's a snapshot of the export setting as requested. There are no discernible differences in the metadata that I can see (It is stripped as part of export).
LR4_export.PNG

Trevor,

It could be that LR's heuristic for setting the quality to meet your constraints simply can't handle the compressibility of that particular image. You may have to set a pixel size and experiment with various quality settings until you produce a JPEG that is to your liking.

Hal

Thanks Hal,
It just seems odd that it exports such a small file when the limit is set to 200k and can't export at all when set to 150k!

This is really weird Trevor. Would you want to share the original and try to see if another installation would behave in the same way ? If so send it over via email or make it downloadable and PM me with a link. See you're on Zenfolio too. If you care to see my site it's at http://foton.zenfolio.com ... I've visited yours and found it very nice ! :)
TC Bob

BTW of you have photoshop or want to give a spin to a trial, are you aware that in its Save for Web dialog you can ask for a filesize contraint ? You could try and see ...

Hi Bob,
I'll put the image up on Windows Live and drop you the link.
Thanks for the kind words about my Zen site. Just had a look at yours and there are some wonderful images. :)
I have got CS5 and yes, I could use that, but I have got to the stage where I like to do as much as possible from within LR. It's another step that I prefer to avoid if possible. I did export the image using the quality slider, but it's a PITA having to do that each time and having to check the exported file size.

Trevor,
downloaded your CR2, imported it (adding it from HD) into my Mac OS X Lion LR 4.1 and then converted it with exactly the same setting you can see a few posts back in this thread, and it worked flawlessly generating a 127 Kb JPEG (BTW great pic !) :)
Could it be something related to your filesystem ??? Dunno just wild guessing !
Let us know.
Bob

Thanks for trying Bob. Weird or what! I'll try it again in a day or so, give LR a chance to settle down. :mrgreen:

I've seen this with a particular high key image that another forum member sent me. Adjusting the crop by the tiniest amount worked fine, so I think there's a bug in the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back