• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Storage & Workflow Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSDS1227

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic version 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all, I have my Master .Ircat on a M.2 SSD, I import all photos into a folder on the same drive and do all my local adjustments there. When I am done with edits I have LR move all photos to a LaCie 2Big Dock 8TB mirrored drive for my first back-up. LR Classic and Photoshop CC are both on the (C:) drive downloaded from the web. I keep the LR master catalog backups on a separate internal SSD. The LR cache is also on the M.2 SSD. All this is working on a Win 10 system with 16MB RAM and a Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

My question is; Does that sound like a good configuration or do I have things too spread out for windows to work efficiently? I am NOT having any issues I am just curious.
Thanks for any feedback.
Rich

The only thing I would suggest you consider is moving the photos after editing. I have not found, for most activity, that the storage of the (presumably raw) image makes a lot of difference, so I prefer to ingest them once and not copy them again unless I really have to. Copy operations in Windows have no validity checking (e.g. read-verify pass) and minimal error detection and I'm paranoid. What you do is faster though.

I also separate the catalog and cache (with a symbolic link). I'm not convinced that matters and having them together on a M.2, if you have the space, is simpler and I have yet to see the CPU be able to saturate my M.2 (and mine is kind of old). Note there is also a ACR cache you might want to check on and put there.

I'm unclear from your description if the M.2 drive is the C drive. I find that windows is still so busy in background that having the O/S on the M.2 drive is helpful, though more about changing programs than just sitting in LR for a long time. Where you have the system drive also defaults to the temp, page and swap files. Temp can be helpful to move to a very fast drive also (hopefully you have enough memory that page and swap are moot but at 16GB (presumably not MB) is on the low side of plenty if you are really looking for speed, especially if you use photoshop).

PS. Moving temp can be a problem for some badly written programs that presume it is on the same drive as the OS. Adobe's install script used to be one of those, but I think that was fixed years ago. But other programs you may run into issues, though it usually becomes obvious if so.

Sounds somewhat familiar to my new machine:
  • One Sabrent 2TB Gen 4 SSD on CPU PCIe lanes. This drive is boot, apps, catalog, caches...etc.
  • Two Sabrent 2TB Gen 3 SSDs on chipset PCIe lanes setup as 4TB RAID 0. This volume is the library for documents, pictures,...etc. It also has the catalog backup. An option. would be one 4TB Sabrent SSD. But they are in the $850 price range while the 2TB models are each in the $275 range. So the RAID 0 config is significantly cheaper than a single 4TB SSD.
  • One internal HGST 8TB HDD connected to SATA port. This drive is dedicated for backups of the file system on the SSDs.
Very happy with the storage config so far. It is quick and silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back