• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Stopping import

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I mistakenly started importing a huge file of icons into Lightroom 5. Is there any way to stop an import after it's begun?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Welcome to the forum.

The answer is probably too late, but I'll provide it for the NEXT time. When you initiate an import the progress bar is displayed in the top left of the Module Picker sub window across the top. At the right edge of the progress bar is a grayed out "X" Clicking on that "X" turns it red and will stop the process (eventually and cleanly). This is true for any progress bar showing in the Module Picker sub window and not restricted to import.

Trying to anticipate your next follow up question. All of the mistakenly imported images show up in the special collection call "Previous Import" found in the Catalog module in the Left panel subwindow. You can Delete these images from the HD and Remove them from the catalog by selecting them in the grid view of the "Previous Import" special collection. If you imported them with the "Add" option you probably do not want to Delete them from the HD but just Remove them from the catalog. These are both choices in the popup message box. So choose carefully and wisely.

Last edited:

Sprocket

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have stopped many imports by this method but it fails to work on the new iMac I'm using. The cancel cross doesn't go red and the import continues - in this case 36 Gb :(

Anyone got a suggestion to force a stop without damaging anything?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
LR is multi threaded and several images may be in progress at the same time. I keep clicking the cancel cross on the progress bar(s) until LR gives me it full attention. No harm can occur. LR won't cancel until it has finished the current task. Canceling only prevents LR from starting the next task in the queue.