• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Sync Stop syncing LRCC albums / collections but leave collections in place on both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tairuup

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LRCC v1.5 / LR CC Classic v7.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Not sure if I've gone about this the right way BUT my plan is (was) to use:

1) LRCC for essentially mobile based photography, syncing across laptop, phone and iPad

2) LRCC Classic for DSLR photography, storing my old archive AND store a back-up of the mobile images from LRCC

3) Use PS CC to edit from both as and when.

So, thinking I'd got it figured, I created an album structure in LRCC with around 2,000 images, albums within folders, all uploaded from the phone. Having done that I turned on LRCC sync in Classic and it pulled down all the images and pulled the albums down into correspondingly named collections. As far as I'm aware this would result in there being a full sized image in LRCC and a full size downloaded image in Classic (I know if you start in Classic it only uploads previews to LRCC if you sync).

Having done that (though now I'm not sure it's a good idea) I was planning to try and sever the link between the two BUT leave the collections in place in Classic AND the albums in place in LRCC. I thought simply turning off sync would achieve that. Wrong :( Once I turned off sync the albums created in LRCC disappeared albeit the images were still there in all photos, leaving me to (presumably) rebuild the albums in LRCC. Never tried though, rather than create potentially more havoc, I instead I turned sync back on and up they came, albeit not in their folders which I've now re-arranged them back into.

So now I have collections arranged in collections groups in LR CC Classic and albums in folders on LR CC. All seems to be well. Keywords entered on Classic can be seen on Classic and keywords entered in LRCC are visible in LRCC, or at least so it seems, keyword editing on one doesn't SEEM to destroy your efforts on the other.

So, I'm wondering is there a way to sever the link and leave all in tact both ends? I'm also wondering if it's a actually a good idea at all now. At least any changes I might make will be synced across both (except for keywords and such like), I could maybe protect the LRCC images by having it keep a local copy on the laptop SSD (which I back up) via settings on that app and just let LRCC and Classic do their thing meantime. I'm not so much worried about when I choose to to sync the photos I load into Classic direct as turning off sync will merely stop their previews appearing in LRCC (I think) synced photos that were initially uploaded by any of the LRCC apps, different matter.

You cannot cut the link between the albums in LrCC and the collections in Lr Classic unless you stop syncing the Lightroom Classic catalog completely.

Sorted the syncing. Just one more thing. Purchased the plan today and have decided to totally isolate LR CC and Classic from each other. If there's substantial editing to be done I'll load the photos to a temporary folder for Classic to access, edit in LR Classic and PS if needed, then export and upload to LR CC.

I decided to completely zero out LR by disconnecting the sync as above then deleted everything. Once I have my full archive exported to a suitable file structure I'll add that to Classic.

However, if I need to sync even one folder to LR CC, sync in the top left must be turned on right? Now, as I zapped everything from LR Classic, it's not going to take everything down from LR CC is it? LR CC is currently isolated from Classic so I'll do a back up to local drive just in case.

However, if I need to sync even one folder to LR CC, sync in the top left must be turned on right?
The way to do that is not to sync that folder, but simply import the images of that folder into Lightroom CC as well.

Now, as I zapped everything from LR Classic, it's not going to take everything down from LR CC is it?
If you would turn on sync again in Lightroom Classic, that is exactly what it will do. It will download everything.

Thanks. That was my bad, explained it poorly.

My concern is that I did once sync LRCC to LR Classic. I since turned of Classic sync and deleted everything from Classic. I don't mind so much if it downloads everything again if I turn on sync. My only concern is that as I've deleted everything from Classic will it sync that deletion and delete the lot from LR CC? I'm guessing not but not got my head round how these two work together.

WRT exporting collections and uploading to LRCC, I could but the collections I need access to will vary from week to week. It will likely become laborious to upload them every time. Syncing seems the best option, being able to turn collections on/off at will. Just need to be careful not to touch the LRCC content I guess.

My only concern is that as I've deleted everything from Classic will it sync that deletion and delete the lot from LR CC?
If you sync the same catalog, then yes, it will delete everything from the cloud. If you create a new catalog and sync that, then it will download everything from the cloud.

My concern is that I did once sync LRCC to LR Classic. I since turned of Classic sync and deleted everything from Classic. I don't mind so much if it downloads everything again if I turn on sync. My only concern is that as I've deleted everything from Classic will it sync that deletion and delete the lot from LR CC? I'm guessing not but not got my head round how these two work together.
Unfortunately, I think it WILL delete the images from the cloud when you turn syncing back on in Classic. It they originally synced between Classic and LRCC (it doesn't matter where they originated), and are then deleted from Classic, the system thinks they are not required any more so will delete them from the cloud. So I think that'll happen if you restart syncing in Classic.

There are various things that you could do to rescue the situation, but none are ideal. Simplest might be to export the files from LRCC using the "Originals + Settings" option (which will preserve your edits), then restart sync in your Classic catalog and wait fro the situation to resolve itself. Assuming those files do end up getting removed from the cloud, then re-import the exported files into LRCC and they'll re-download into Classic in due course.

Thanks. Hmmm. Sounds grim. How about

1) Using the local back up option for LRCC. Can those be restored, in tact, complete with folder structure?

2) Delete Classic and re-install (currently nothing in it)

I can't actually see any export option in LRCC, I didn't think it had one? I can see a 'Save' after I've selected images. No 'Export' anywhere.

If you sync the same catalog, then yes, it will delete everything from the cloud. If you create a new catalog and sync that, then it will download everything from the cloud.

I think, seeing as currently my Classic is empty (I'm still building the library I plan to catalogue with it) and only ever had the images I tested with a sync to LRCC, THIS is the option I need. Effectively doing a fresh install without the hassle.

Once I've done the above, if I've got this right, once I sync Classic with LR CC, Classic will download the full sized image (albeit minus keywords etc) thus giving me yet another back up option, plus have photos stored 'in tact' in album / collection structures should I ever need to restore to LR CC.

I'm not yet sure if 'store images locally' in LR CC will restore those albums in tact with the the full album structures should I need to restore them to LRCC if I need to, and if indeed you can.

2) Delete Classic and re-install (currently nothing in it)
No, that won’t work and isn’t necessary. Re-installing does not affect your catalog and it’s the catalog that needs to be replaced by a new and never synced before one.

Thanks all for the help. Deleted the old empty but previously synced catalogue and created a new one. For now I'll keep both apps entirely independent of each other until I decide whether it's worth syncing or not, at the moment I'm less inclined to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back