• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Stop LR syncing with Cloud (and clear out the cloud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooTheMightyHamster

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi all,

After some advice from the good people of these forums, I've moved from my old local copy of LR6 to the Photography plan, which gets me Lightroom Classic 10.4, Photoshop 22.5.1 and Adobe Bridge (which I haven't installed, as I have no idea what it's used for).

My plan comes with 20GB of Cloud storage which I have no interest in - I want to work, and store everything, locally. At install, when I migrated my catalog, LR / CC (I have yet to learn the lingo) started to sync my images to the cloud and then warned me it was going to run out of space. I have therefore paused the sync.

Can someone tell me how to permanently switch off syncing, please, so that it doesn't try again in future, and I can get rid of the irritating little 'Pause' icon on the CC menu?
I'd also like to know how to clear my images out of Adobe's cloud storage, so that they only exist on my laptop (and on my backups)?

Thanks very much!

Boo

Hi all,

After some advice from the good people of these forums, I've moved from my old local copy of LR6 to the Photography plan, which gets me Lightroom Classic 10.4, Photoshop 22.5.1 and Adobe Bridge (which I haven't installed, as I have no idea what it's used for).

My plan comes with 20GB of Cloud storage which I have no interest in - I want to work, and store everything, locally. At install, when I migrated my catalog, LR / CC (I have yet to learn the lingo) started to sync my images to the cloud and then warned me it was going to run out of space. I have therefore paused the sync.

Can someone tell me how to permanently switch off syncing, please, so that it doesn't try again in future, and I can get rid of the irritating little 'Pause' icon on the CC menu?
I'd also like to know how to clear my images out of Adobe's cloud storage, so that they only exist on my laptop (and on my backups)?

Thanks very much!

Boo

Lightroom Classic only syncs images in specific Collections marked for for syncing. These images in these collections also end up in the Special Collection called “All Synched Photographs”. Turn Off Synching in the collections where synching to the cloud has been granted. Then remove any Lightroom Classic images that are assigned to the Special Collection called “All Synched Photographs”. Synching FROM Lightroom Classic will then stop. However, if you use the Lightroom Mobile app on any mobile device, it will synch to the cloud and these images will then sync down to Lightroom Classic.

FWIW, any images that start in Lightroom Classic and are synced to the cloud are synced as smaller “proxy” images and donor count against your 20GB plan limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect that you've installed the Lightroom Desktop (cloud-centric) app, NOT Lightroom Classic. If you had installed Classic instead, there would be no "migration" involved (only the Lightroom Desktop app has that functionality), all that should have happened is that Classic would detect your old LR6 catalog and upgraded it to the current version (10.4). Also, cloud syncing would not automatically have started.

Please check the version that you have installed, the dock icon for Classic would show "LrC", whereas the dock icon for the Lightroom Desktop app would show only "Lr".

Both LrC and LrDesktop are included in the Photography Plan.

I've definitely got LrC installed - I installed it from CC. Screenshot of my dock...

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 23.21.33.png

It's possible that I've installed the Desktop application too (though I'm not aware of doing so). Looking at my Application folder..

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 23.25.32.png

Maybe it's the Adobe Lightroom CC. Do I need to uninstall that?

Thanks.

Yes, the Adobe Lightroom CC contains the Lightroom desktop app. It's not necessary to uninstall it, but you can if you want to (do it via the Creative Cloud app). The question is though, did you run it, and if you did run it did you use the catalog migration feature to migrate your LR6 catalog? Look in your Pictures folder to see if there's a "Lightroom Library.lrlibrary" package in there, and if so do a Get Info on that package to see how much space it's using.

All the indications from your first post point towards the fact that you did launch Lightroom and started the catalog migration.....that would automatically then lead to all your LR6 image library being uploaded to the cloud (which is why you'd get the out of space warning).

None of this is a major problem, we just need to understand what you've done so far in order to help you clean it up.

Hi Jim,

Yes, there is a Lightroom Library.lrlibrary in my Pictures folder. It's 93.25GB.

For someone who worked in IT for 33 years, and handled more software upgrades than you can shake a stick at, I'm ashamed that I didn't take more notes, but as I recall, it went something like this.

Went to Adobe.com
Signed in to my Adobe account
Got a message saying that my existing version of LR (LR6) was out of date (or words to that effect) and got a link to my choice of plans.
Picked the £9.98 / 20GB Photography plan

It all gets a bit hazy now.

I think I had some sort of wizard / script pop up (I was 'multitasking') and CC was definitely installed first. I think I then got to this screen...

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 07.31.42.png

Obviously the status of all three (PS, LR and LrC) was 'Install', not 'Open'.

I suspect what I did was install LIghtroom. It chugged away for a while, and when it opened up / I was able to open it, it looked more like Apple Photos. Just a long stream of images, broken up by Year. No album names, just 15,000 pictures. I must admit my heart sank at that point, as I assumed it was just part of the upgrade process, and that I'd have to manually recatalog everything. I think (can't swear to it) that it was during this process that I got the 'Cloud space will be exceeded' message.

At that point I wondered if I should have installed LrC instead, and did so. When that installed (took about 20m mins) and I opened it up, it looked like the LR that I was used to. All the various Library / Develop / Map etc modules that I'm used to. And all my images in their original folders.

That's the bit I need, so if I can safely get rid of LR because it's not something that's required, then I'll do so. I'm very conscious of the warning that a catalog can only be imported / transferred once though, so if there's any risk involved, I'd rather play safe.

Thanks!

There's probably a bit missing in your narrative, i.e. when you started Lightroom for the first time it would not be trying to upload anything until you either imported images from your local hard drive(s), or you ran the "Migrate from" option on the File menu. But no matter, you can safely uninstall the Lightroom app, then delete that Lightroom Library.lrlibrary package, then you need to clean up your cloud storage.

Before doing that last clean-up, can you confirm that you have not yet being using the Lightroom Mobile app on phone or tablet? If you have, and you've taken pictures using the phone, you'll have to be very careful when you go about deleting the photos from your cloud storage. Get back to me on this last point, then I can explain how you need to go about emptying your cloud storage.

In the meantime, you can carry on using Lightroom Classic, and provided you do not enable cloud syncing there'll be no issues. If you want to enable sync, wait until we've sorted out the cloud storage first.

Jim,

Yes, the 'Migrate From' from the File menu rings a bell.

I'm not using the Lightroom Mobile App on any platform - it's just my DSLR and my laptop and that's it!

Ok, so I can uninstall Lightroom via this option...

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 08.21.49.png

...then manually delete Lightroom Library.lrlibrary from the Pictures/Lightroom folder.

Thanks again for the help!

You could uninstall that way, or you can use the Creative Cloud app (click on the three dots icon next to the "Open" button and you'll see the uninstall option). But either way is fine.

Yes, delete the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary.

Then to clear out the cloud storage, open the LrWeb app in a browser (login to your Adobe account at lightroom.adobe.com). Once logged in you'll see all the images that you have currently uploaded to the cloud, the easiest way to delete them is to click on the Avatar at the top right of the window then select "Account Info" from the drop-down list that appears. That will open the account info box, and prominent in that is the "Delete Lightroom Library" button. Clicking on that will clear out the cloud storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back