Starting with lightroom. Tiding up hard disk photos first

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,
I am not very new with lightroom, it is that I am starting today.
I have seen this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSwkDC3q7uk

which I found to be a very very good introduction. According to this tutorial it would be nice to have some organization in the structure of my folders in the hard disk before creating my collection the first time.

For that though I need more ideas on how to structure my folders. So far I was using the software that came with my camera to do the import and thus all my images are sorted inside date subfolders. I understand that I have to start looking on a folder by folder basis but I am not sure then how I should change them rename them.

If there are some ideas on file structure of photos it would be great to hear yours ideas

Regards
A

sounds very reasonable. What would you do though if
1. the eventdescription is just another family aggregation.. or your daughter playing.
2. what also if you have been for three days in Zurich shooting? Would you make each subfolder for each date?
Alex

Hello,

For me, I just let Lightroom sort it all into date based folders, each day is it's own subfolder of the year folder. I don't add anything descriptive to the directory names. I rely entirely on keywording to manage the "what's what" in any given shoot. In that way, pictures from a folder can belong to more than one category. Zurich would be in places, countries and cities in a hierarchical keyword scheme. I don't need to assign the Switzerland keyword, as the photo picks up the country keyword from the hierarchy that Zurich lives in. At the same time, where I have family members in those Zurich photos, I also add keywords for the various people, which in turn are in a different hierarchy starting with "people".

So in short, the folders are merely buckets that the photos get dropped into, based purely on the date of the photo. I use the YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD preset.

Ditto.

I just use a simple date based scheme: ..\YYYY\YYYY.MM.DD_eventdescription\

The date part can be automated in Lightroom. The description of event you can add manually after import.
YYYY\MM\DD is a simple date based scheme. \YYYY\YYYY.MM.DD_eventdescription\ is more complex. My suggested naming scheme you can do automatically in LR. The more complex version requires the extra step of naming or renaming folders
All the other descriptive stuff can be organized with keywords within Lightroom
All the ... descriptive stuff can be organized with keywords. And that includes the descriptive name of the event which is an unnecessary part of the folder name
which makes it easier to search across folders.
You don't need to search across folders. Any time you do a visual scan of folder names, you are not being efficient. Once you find the folder that you are looking for, what do you do next? Continue searching inside the folder until you find the image(s) that you want. Give me all of the images where the keyword is the name of the event AND other search terms will return a small subset that contains all of the images and depending upon the other search terms no extra images.

sounds very reasonable. What would you do though if
1. the eventdescription is just another family aggregation.. or your daughter playing.
2. what also if you have been for three days in Zurich shooting? Would you make each subfolder for each date?
At (1) I don't see the problem. I would use a description of what the photos show. So in your example something describing the family aggregation or my daughter playing.

Please note that this step is purely optional. You can do fine, even without adding any information to the folder name. But this is a "free" opportunity to add more information in the folder hierarchy without adding any more levels or branches to the hierarchy.

At (2), I usually have the photos in different folders. Since I often start working on the photos in Lightroom in the evenings during a trip, I will have photos in different stages of completion, and keeping them divided in date based folders makes it easier for me to handle. I usually collect the exported photos in one folder at the export destination.

Please note that the division into different folders are not forcing you into a division of your Lightroom workflow. If you select all folders from the Zurich event in the folder tree in the left pane, they will all appear in the film strip, and you can work on them as if they were in the same folder.

Last edited:
YYYY\MM\DD is a simple date based scheme. \YYYY\YYYY.MM.DD_eventdescription\ is more complex. My suggested naming scheme you can do automatically in LR.

The additional \YYYY\ folder level is also part of Lightroom's automatic folder naming.

(Edit: I now see that you have 3 folder levels, not one. So calling my system with 2 folder levels more complex is a bit strange. Anyway, both 1, 2 and 3 date based levels are supported by Lightroom's automatic naming.

The example I gave contains additional dots between the date parts, and these do require a hack to Lightroom - but the dots are in no way important to the message I wanted to convey, and in my first post I specifically recommended the OP to look at Lightroom's automatic naming schemes and see if he could use one of them.)

So the only difference is the event name. I will give you the same answer as I gave the OP:
Please note that this step is purely optional. You can do fine, even without adding any information to the folder name. But this is a "free" opportunity to add more information in the folder hierarchy without adding any more levels or branches to the hierarchy.

I know from earlier discussions that you are a keyword purist and that you will find some way to ridicule what I wrote, but I don't care. The naming is useful for me.

The more complex version requires the extra step of naming or renaming folders

Yes, I already wrote that in the post you replied to.

Last edited:
Hi,
looks like I will use the default date scheme with dates you suggested above, perhaps without adding the event description.

One more question is: what is the structure of your export folder?

and a second one: I was shooting today my daughter playing with her Grandfather Nikos (that is his name)..
How I would rembember if a set of tags that was used was just "Grandfather" or "Grandfather Nikos" or "Grandfather Nik"
and so on? It is not just light room but it is also my brain if it would keep it consistent. For example if I would be shifting between the two cases
case #1: Name always the same face as "Grandfather Nikos"
or
case #2: Tag him as Nikos when he is alone and not on his grandfather duties, e.x talking in a conference and use the "Grandfather Nikos" When is playing with the grandkids..

Is it my brain that makes it so confusing?

A

Last edited:
Hi,
looks like I will use the default date scheme with dates you suggested above, perhaps without adding the event description.

One more question is: what is the structure of your export folder?

and a second one: I was shooting today my daughter playing with her Grandfather Nikos (that is his name)..
How I would rembember if a set of tags that was used was just "Grandfather" or "Grandfather Nikos" or "Grandfather Nik"
and so on? It is not just light room but it is also my brain if it would keep it consistent. For example if I would be shifting between the two cases
case #1: Name always the same face as "Grandfather Nikos"
or
case #2: Tag him as Nikos when he is alone and not on his grandfather duties, e.x talking in a conference and use the "Grandfather Nikos" When is playing with the grandkids..

Is it my brain that makes it so confusing?

A
Exports? I don't really have any export folders. I export to Flickr, Facebook, and other web social sites as well as to my Creative cloud storage and my Behance portfolio using a Publish Service. Except for the Local Creative Cloud Folder, there are no local files created. I print directly from LR to my printer and no export file is created. I have a folder of photo that I share from time to time with my wife and her computer, but these are temporary and deleted once she has a copy. Also temporary are the images that I make for my local camera club monthly competition.

There is no need to make (and keep) exports derivative files. LR will regenerate these on demand as new copies are needed.

Your Daughter has a name and that is the keyword used for that person. Nikos is only grandfather to your daughter and to you he is father or Father in law. But he is always "Nikos" to everyone no mater what the relationship. If you assign him a first and last name as a keyword just as you do with your daughter, there is never any confusion. If you assign keywords by clicking on the correct one in the Keywording panel, there is no confusion. If you begin typing in a keyword field "nik", LR will suggest Nikos, Nikon and every other keyword that starts with "nik". You just need to pick the correct one from the dropdown list.

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion. So If am getting you correct the idea is each person to be written with full and last name which now I think make sense. There are many Nikos outhere and if I shoot someone else thinks can get confusing. Although I guess that lightroom later on allows you to edit the misleading tags.
One last question. Does LR support greek characters?
A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back