• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Starting over

anasmusic

Lightroom Version
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.4 release
Operating System
macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi folks, new to the forum. I started using LR a few years ago and literally just dived in without giving much thought to what I was doing. I'm now looking at a 52K photo mess. I realize that I no longer want to keep all the raw files anywhere, so I want to delete them all. I've also converted any raws I did want into jpegs and exported them into files on my hard drive and cloud.
Now I know in order to edit new raw images, I need to import them into my Lightroom, but I only want keep the raws for a few months at most and then get rid of them again. I also want to eliminate all the old folders that I currently have in Lightroom since they were originally connected to all the raws I will no longer have.
Can I just delete all those old folders especially since they're no longer linked to the raws that have been deleted? And since I have about 52K jpegs stored on my hard drive is it worth me reimporting those into LR for me to have access to or just leave them be as they are now organized on my hard drive by year and name. All the raws were exported to jpegs and saved in my hard drive by year and name.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Welcome to the forum. You do know that deleting raw files is somewhat akin to throwing away negatives after making a print? Have you considered keeping the raw files and your LR catalog(s) and deleting the jpeg files? I would especially consider this if you were really contemplating re-importing them into a new catalog. This give you the least of many options as you no longer have the raw file and you no longer have the catalog with the original edits. All you would be left with are jpeg copies which do not take to reprocessing that well as many of the settings of a raw file aht can be easily changed in LR are now baked in the jpeg file.

I would suggest starting a new catalog if you are not happy with your current catalog and then later try cleaning it up.

Good luck,

--Ken

anasmusic

Welcome to the forum. You do know that deleting raw files is somewhat akin to throwing away negatives after making a print? Have you considered keeping the raw files and your LR catalog(s) and deleting the jpeg files? I would especially consider this if you were really contemplating re-importing them into a new catalog. This give you the least of many options as you no longer have the raw file and you no longer have the catalog with the original edits. All you would be left with are jpeg copies which do not take to reprocessing that well as many of the settings of a raw file aht can be easily changed in LR are now baked in the jpeg file.

I would suggest starting a new catalog if you are not happy with your current catalog and then later try cleaning it up.

Good luck,

--Ken
Hi Ken! I do realize that and I'm OK with it... I saved the really important stuff that maybe I would like to fiddle with later. Thanks for the tips!! Appreciate your feedback.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi Ken! I do realize that and I'm OK with it... I saved the really important stuff that maybe I would like to fiddle with later. Thanks for the tips!! Appreciate your feedback.
And remember that disk space is cheap these days. Even if you don't want to keep the RAW files cataloged in Lightroom, for the sake of your future self (or maybe even your children) back up all the RAW files somewhere. Obviously you should cull out the duds.

Phil

anasmusic

And remember that disk space is cheap these days. Even if you don't want to keep the RAW files cataloged in Lightroom, for the sake of your future self (or maybe even your children) back up all the RAW files somewhere. Obviously you should cull out the duds.

Phil
exactly the ones I've saved :)

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I realize that I no longer want to keep all the raw files anywhere, so I want to delete them all. I've also converted any raws I did want into jpegs and exported them into files on my hard drive and cloud.
Personally, I keep the RAW. Have yo ever considered that someday, your skills and/or tools may improve and you may want to revisit old photos and reprocess them? I've done that.

You didn't mention if you have a 'culling' process to purge pictures that are just not keepers e.g. out of focus, lens cap was on, finger in the way etc. You may want to consider working from the 'bottom' up of keepers rather than from the 'top' down.