• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Starting over with new Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigstad

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been using an older Windows 10 computer with Lightroom. That computer is so slow that I am starting over with a new MacBook.

I have learned many things about using Lightroom so am hoping this goes more smoothly than the original attempt. I am dumping my original lrcat and starting from scratch.

I have used multiple computers and have many of the same folders and pictures on all 3 computers. What is the best way to import these photos without missing any?

So do I,
Do my main import and then compare each folder manually before importing into Lightroom?
or
Import all these folders in knowing there will be duplication?

I assume option the first option would be best. I know Lightroom can find duplicates but unsure how big a job this would be with many duplicate folders of pictures.

Any tips would be appreciated.

RJ

Why are you planning to dump your catalog? You do realise that this means losing all edits, don’t you? Keep using your old catalog: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroomcollected o-new-computer/
I have not done much editing, just trying to get some semblance of order. Have reviewed some online courses on Lightroom and think I understand it much better but still confused about the mess I have with files and copies of files collected over 20 plus years.

MacOS comes with an app Migration Assistant. There is a Windows version to migrate all of your user data to the Mac. Once down all you need to do is install the Mac equivalent versions of Lightroom Classic. Use it to open your master catalog file. Apple has for free an office suite of apps for word processing, spreadsheet, and PowerPoint. You can purchase a Microsoft Office subscription for the Mac if you like, but this is not necessary because the Apple office apps reads and writes the Microsoft Office formats.

This is the method that I used about 14 years ago to migrate to the Mac from Windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before you make your change to a new OS.. I highly suggest making sure your Photo Folders are in order. All where you want them to be, and in some sort of personal order so you can find what you need to find. Now is the time to move folders, or check for doubles. There is software around to help with Duplicates. This can be a daunting taste for sure. Once you have all that figured out and done... Then you are ready for what people said above... only then should you import into your NEW catalog. If sticking with your OLD catalog.. (saving edits) you should move and delete your folders/photos now,,(within LR) before moving into new OS.

Thanks for the reply, I admit I have a mess, these are personal pictures from 3 old computers and scans of snapshots from 1940's on, so of course date info is non existent and it is a daunting task. The good thing is the new MacBook doesn't ship for 6 weeks so I have time to attack the task. Already is better as I have all photos coalesced into a main folder. The duplicate task is the daunting task.

What program would you recommend for dealing with file duplication?

Thanks for the reply, I admit I have a mess, these are personal pictures from 3 old computers and scans of snapshots from 1940's on, so of course date info is non existent and it is a daunting task. The good thing is the new MacBook doesn't ship for 6 weeks so I have time to attack the task. Already is better as I have all photos coalesced into a main folder. The duplicate task is the daunting task.

What program would you recommend for dealing with file duplication?
Well - it is a good thing you have all under one folder now. Makes the future much easier. As for a dup program, I have tried and used many over the decades. I have never found one I "loved" yet. I even paid for two. I forget their names. They must be getting better. I always preferred to pay for the app, not using the "Freeware". Many obvious reasons. If I run across one, I will let you know. I have a few chores to do next few days... Good luck on your app search. They are out there.

This is one I've used many years ago. https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/dcdownloads.html

Glad it helped. I might buy the newest version myself. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back