• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Standard Previews are disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have the latest version of LR Classic on my Mac Pro 2013, also latest OS. The catalogue and associated files are all in the same folder on this boot drive, my photos are on an external drive connected by USB 3.0. My problem is this: I have made Standard sized previews of all of my 60,000 photos and several times in the last few months they seem to have disappeared, and I have to ask LR to re make them, which takes many hours. I have not moved or renamed the LR catalogue. Any thoughts about what might be going on?

What do you mean with "they seem to have disappeared"?

When I click on the photo to open it in Standard size, there is a few second delay just like when there is no pre-existing standard preview. More telling, when I ask LR to create Standard Previews for all my photos, it begins the process and takes at least 12 hours ( I went to bed), in spite of the fact that last week I created a new set of all my previews because I had to move my photos to a new hard drive.

Forgot to mention, after my last go around creating Standard Previews for all of my photos, the lr.dat file was 90 GB (checked on Time Machine). This morning when I looked to was 8GB. So, my question is: where did all those previews go and why?

That's odd. There is a setting to discard 1:1 previews after a certain time, but there is no setting to do that with standard-sized previews and there is no reason why Lightroom should do that. Are you perhaps using Dropbox or something like that to sync your catalog between two computers? If both computers have different screen sizes, then that might be the explanation.

I'm not using Dropbox or syncing my catalog between two computers. I am backing up the LR catalog on two external drives, one with Time Machine and one via the LR software.

I'm not using Dropbox or syncing my catalog between two computers. I am backing up the LR catalog on two external drives, one with Time Machine and one via the LR software.
Backups can’t have anything to do with this.

An earlier remark I don’t understand, although I have no idea how that could cause this either, but just because you never know. You said that
last week I created a new set of all my previews because I had to move my photos to a new hard drive.
Why would you have to create a new set of previews when you move photos to a new hard drive? What exactly did you do and why?

As part of the move of photos I got rid of old LR backup files and I think I threw away my data files as well. Can't be sure...another senior moment.

As part of the move of photos I got rid of old LR backup files and I think I threw away my data files as well. Can't be sure...another senior moment.
So perhaps you discarded the standard-size previews in another such moment? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back