• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Spray Can +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandyjas

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Have iMac and OSX Mountain Lion. Nikon D800E camera. A few of my keywords in Lightroom Keyword list have a + sign after them. Is this due to using the Spray Can tool set to keywords? Should I ignore the + signs? Or can I get rid of them? Or do they just stay until I use the Spray Can tool again for keywords, whereupon the + signs follow new keywords? Hope everyone is well and staying healthy. Lightroom is one of the best investments I ever made! No major problems with other equipment or new camera yet! Lightroom is a dream. I love working in it! One of the best investments! Every photographer should consider it! Thank You for any information to above question. I freaked when I saw those + signs!

Thank You,
Sandy

You can mark a Keyword in the Keyword List with two indicators-

A dot [.] will force any new keywords to be added as a 'child' keyword within this 'parent' hierarchy.
Useful to easily keep track of newly added keywords that can then be moved to an appropriate Keyword Hierarchy at a time later.
1594179861298.png

1594179876000.png

A plus sign [+] marks this keyword as a quick KEYWORD SHORTCUT that becomes available in the Right-click menu and can be applied to photos with the Keyboard Shortcut [Shift+K]. This quick shortcut can be toggled on/off by right-click on the keyword.
1594179886893.png

1594179897015.png

This [+] for Shortcut, is not the same as a + in the Keyword name! It shows separated by a space from the keyword.
ScreenShot447.jpg

I am not aware of how you might be seeing a [+] on many keywords! other than in the Keyword name.

Hint: For a visual indicator of Keywords that will not export with metadata, name Keywords with a # suffix. Eg. Develop Needed #
Hint: Double-Click on a Keyword to open the Edit function.
Hint: Use characters (eg. #$%!) as a Keyword Prefix to make them sort before alphabetic characters. ( eg. #Topmost Keyword)

I have over a thousand keywords. Somewhat less in my Lightroom Keyword List. I have + signs after 5 keywords in my LR keyword list. The + signs are placed... Keyword Space +sign. So I figured that this was from using the Spray Can once. I have no instance of a keyword containing a + sign as part of the keyword. I've never used the Shortcut option yet. So I went into LR and right clicked on one of the + sign keywords in the Keyword List, choose Shortcut and cleared the checkmark on the Shortcut option. The + sign after the keyword did disappear! You can add anything if you want. Anything I missed or should know. Thanks for the Hints!!!! Thank You So Much!

Sandy

I still am unsure of how you would have 5 keywords with the 'shortcut +' (Normally only One would be allowed)
I do not believe the Spray Can has caused this- It simply adds the metadata (set in the options) to the photo you spray.

I just found something in a book I'd been through before! :geek: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book by Martin Evening, Pg 618, The Painter Tool, referred to as "spray can." He was explaining how to operate Spray Can:

' In keywords mode you can enter more than one single keyword into the paint field. You will also notice in the Keyword List panel that the keywords entered will appear with a plus sign next to them.'

I wish I would have seen that in my first pass reviewing Spray Can! So these + signs do appear in your LR Keyword List after keywords you used with Spray Can. Unless someone else can add additional info or explain better. Thanks again...Sandy

Many Thanks for the reply Sandyjas.
You have taught me something new to add to my knowledge.
Yes, I just tried the multi-keywords in the Spray-can and confirm all these keywords get the + mark.
Setting multiple KWs in the Spray-can will also allow the keyboard shortcut [Shift+K] to add the multiple KWs.
:cool:

Good on Us! I don't know if you guys really say that, but glad we both found this out!

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back