• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Spot Heal Before Masking Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I just came across a problem today working on an image. I tried to clone/heal a background tower out and was always left with a 'ghost'. I happen to find the answer in the Adobe LrC Forum here. So it looks like an undocumented feature that some things need to be done before Masking. Others may have already been aware of this but it was new to me.

Yes, this is a known issue. Not an ‘undocumented feature’, but a bug, if you ask me.

Agree. Sorry, 'undocumented feature' was a euphemism we used to describe a software problem when I worked at DEC ;)
I know that phrase, but because Rikk says in the linked discussion that it’s “as designed” right now, I make it a point that I would call this design a bug. I understand what happens and why it happens, but the user should not be forced into a certain workflow just because Adobe did not provide the option to regenerate an A.I. mask.

I know that phrase, but because Rikk says in the linked discussion that it’s “as designed” right now, I make it a point that I would call this design a bug. I understand what happens and why it happens, but the user should not be forced into a certain workflow just because Adobe did not provide the option to regenerate an A.I. mask.
All,
On this Adobe webpage, https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html, a bit more than halfway down the page, there is this statement:

Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

So even though Adobe recommends that Detail Operations be done last, Spot Healing seems to be an exception due to the design of the software.

So is this behavior a bug? A design feature? I think neither. II would prefer to regard this issue as an imperfect implementation of this feature.

Phil Burton

Is this the explanation ?
  • Select Sky and Select Subject are NOT based on the unadjusted RAW but the current processed version of the image.
  • On the other hand, range masks ARE based on the unadjusted RAW.
From Greg Benz : https://gregbenzphotography.com/#
According to Greg, this is resp. 'fine and ideal' ......

Bernard

Yes, I think that is the explanation. Select Sky will (may) not mask a spot in that sky, so any adjustments you make with a sky mask will not affect that spot. If you then remove that spot, you would have to regenerate the mask, otherwise that spot will still not be adjusted, meaning it will remain faintly visible. The solution is obviously to (auto) regenerate the mask, not telling people they will have to use a particular working order.

The solution is obviously to (auto) regenerate the mask, not telling people they will have to use a particular working order.
Johan,

I agree with you 100%. We have been told that the order that we apply edits to an image does not matter, because Lightroom will apply edits in a pre-determined order. The advice to do spot healing first obviously breaks that model. I didn't do my earlier post because I agreed with Adobe, but to point out that Adobe is aware that doing ALL Detailed Operations last creates a problem with editing.

I am going to surmise that Adobe's exception here is due to engineering factors and overall priorities for improvements , more than anything else.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back