• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Splotchy, banding disappears with 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skronwith

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I just recently noticed some nighttime photos with what I call "spotchyness", bands of large pixels of color. It was driving me crazy since when I went to Photoshop by CMD=E they were not to be seen there. Then I discovered that if I changed to 1:1 view, after a few second the banding was gone. And more interesting, when I went back to fit or fill view, they did not re-occur! What is going on here? Thanks.

I am suspecting that LR created a 1:1 preview when you went to view the image for the first time or when you switched to view it at 1:1 in the develop module. Do you know what preview you have selected for creation on import?

--Ken

I just recently noticed some nighttime photos with what I call "spotchyness", bands of large pixels of color. It was driving me crazy since when I went to Photoshop by CMD=E they were not to be seen there. Then I discovered that if I changed to 1:1 view, after a few second the banding was gone. And more interesting, when I went back to fit or fill view, they did not re-occur! What is going on here? Thanks.
This is a long standing bug. It seems that Lightroom does not update the Library preview (which is different from the Develop preview) sometimes. Zooming in forces a rebuild. It’s unclear what exactly triggers this bug, because it does not occur with all images, just every now and then.

I am suspecting that LR created a 1:1 preview when you went to view the image for the first time or when you switched to view it at 1:1 in the develop module. Do you know what preview you have selected for creation on import?

--Ken

--Ken
I import with Previews being Imbedded and Sidecar

The previews on import have nothing to do with this. 'Embedded & sidecar' means that Lightroom does not immediately build previews, but displays the embedded preview that the camera produced. That will speed up the import, but eventually Lightroom will have to build standard-sized previews of its own. The problem discussed here occurs when this preview needs to be updated after an edit, and isn't (or only in low resolution) for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back