• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Split Large Catalog into Several Smaller Catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard704

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 12.0.1 [ 202210260744-9e008017 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a LR CC catalog with over 126K images, can I break it into multiple smaller catalogs to speed up loading & editing? If so, how would I go about doing it?
Thank you.

Splitting up the catalog may make it load a little faster when Lightroom starts and making a catalog backup will be faster, but that’a about it. Editing will not be any faster, and searching for an image may be much more cumbersome because it may it in a different catalog. Your catalog is not that big. Mine contains about 200,000 images and there are photographers who have a single catalog with several millions of images.

I have to agree with Johan... you'll cause yourself a whole heap more trouble.

But if you want to learn a bit more, page 493 in your book - Multiple Catalogs chapter > Single or Multiple Catalogs section has instructions to split or merge, if you do decide to go that route, as well as more detail on the reasons it's generally a bad idea.

I'd never do that. It's just a database so no known limit to the catalogues size. Defeats the purpose of what LrC is all about.

I agree, bad idea. there are valid reasons to have multiple catalogs (one for you , one for your spouse; Business vs Personal, etc.) but size is not one of them.

I agree, bad idea. there are valid reasons to have multiple catalogs (one for you , one for your spouse; Business vs Personal, etc.) but size is not one of them.
Yes. Just set up root folders for various categories. I've been using one catalogue since 2011 and have never had a single issue with all the version and catalogue upgrades.

But if you want to learn a bit more, page 493 in your book - Multiple Catalogs chapter > Single or Multiple Catalogs section has instructions to split or merge, if you do decide to go that route, as well as more detail on the reasons it's generally a bad idea.

Thanks to all who replied to my request, including the "Queen" herself.
I get the message loud and clear, I will leave my catalog as is . I really appreciate the quick replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back