Not open for further replies.

jwajwa

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

When I press edit from Lightroom to send a raw image through to Photoshop it currently takes 11 seconds to get there (when Photoshop is already up and running). Just considering getting a new pc for photo editing as I was reckoning a it might be possible to get photos to open up in a couple of seconds rather than the wait each time. Any advice/insight appreciated. Thanks... John

When you invoke PS from LR, you don't really "send" a photo file already rendered with Lightroom Adjustments. What happens is that PS is called and the name and location of the RAW file is passed. PS sees that it is a RAW file and proceeds to call ACR which then renders the image with the LR adjustments that have also been passed.

As an experiment, try this. First save the lightroom adjustments (metadata) to a file (XMP alongside a proprietary RAW file format or embedded into the DNG header if the RAW file is DNG). Next, it PS, navigate to the RAW file and click on "Open". Time how long this takes to get to the same image state with LR out of the loop. This is the benchmark that you are trying to improve upon. What are the current specs of your existing Windows machine? How much free space on the primary drive for temporary files in working storage? How Much RAM? What is the speed of the CPU? How many CPU Cores? How fast is your buss mounted disk drive? How much does your Virus scanner slow down opening of files by other processes (like LR & PS). You might try the same test above with the antivirus turned off. These are the things that you need to consider when upgrading to a new (faster) computer.

Thanks for this Cletus. I guess there are lots of factors then. Out of interest all things being good do you have any idea of what is reasonably possible in terms of the time PS can open the sent file from Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back