• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Specify minimum size of file to import to LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipaground

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi, I want to build a new catalogue with my files. I've got a bit less than a terabyte of material - which is fine. But, I have a problem with the source. Some years ago I managed to get thousands of small gifs, pngs and the like mixed into my photographic files. I don't think I need any of them, but I don't have time to go through them all at the mo and make sure this really is the case. So, what I would like to do is import my pictures to a new LR DB but not import the thousands of small gifs etc. I'd have hoped this wasn't too difficult with LR - something like specifying a minimum size to import - maybe 100kb or similar. But I can't find anywhere to specify the minimum size and searching through LR help doesn't, well help.

I wonder if anyone has done this and could tell me where I can specify the sizes of files to import? I'm using a Leica SL so my usual files are based on 24 MegaPixel - they should be easy to differentiate from the tiny gifs etc. But the gifs will clog up the catalogue, I know from harsh experience.
Thanks in advance
John

Lightroom Classic won't import GIF anyhow. Other small files like PNGs could be imported first, and then filtered and removed again.

A number of approaches for dealing with this:

- In Finder, search the root Pictures folder (or wherever you keep your images) and use Finder's search capabilities to exclude the unwanted files by file type or file size. Then select all of the search results in Finder and drag them to the LR icon in your dock, which will open the Import window with those files selected.

- In LR, open the Import window and select the root folder (e.g. Pictures). At the bottom center of the Import window, set Sort: to File Type. Then select just those files of the types you want (e.g. raws but not PNGs) and click Import to complete the import.

- Import everything from the root folder into LR. Then use the Library Filter bar's Metadata browser with the File Type column to select the file types you don't want (e.g. PNGs) and remove them from the catalog. Use smart collections with the Size > Megapixels criterion to identify small images you want to remove from the catalog.

The first option is probably fastest, since it doesn't involve LR to weed out large numbers of unwanted files; but it does require you to learn Finder's advanced search, which is a little obscure.

A number of approaches for dealing with this:

- In Finder, search the root Pictures folder (or wherever you keep your images) and use Finder's search capabilities to exclude the unwanted files by file type or file size. Then select all of the search results in Finder and drag them to the LR icon in your dock, which will open the Import window with those files selected.

- In LR, open the Import window and select the root folder (e.g. Pictures). At the bottom center of the Import window, set Sort: to File Type. Then select just those files of the types you want (e.g. raws but not PNGs) and click Import to complete the import.

- Import everything from the root folder into LR. Then use the Library Filter bar's Metadata browser with the File Type column to select the file types you don't want (e.g. PNGs) and remove them from the catalog. Use smart collections with the Size > Megapixels criterion to identify small images you want to remove from the catalog.

The first option is probably fastest, since it doesn't involve LR to weed out large numbers of unwanted files; but it does require you to learn Finder's advanced search, which is a little obscure.
Thanks very much John. That's very helpful.

Lightroom Classic won't import GIF anyhow. Other small files like PNGs could be imported first, and then filtered and removed again.
Thanks Johan. Calling them gifs was a gaffe on my part. They look like little gifs on screen but they are actually dng/png. Thanks

Some years ago I managed to get thousands of small gifs, pngs and the like mixed into my photographic files. I don't think I need any of them, but I don't have time to go through them all at the mo and make sure this really is the case.
I just re-read your original post and would like to make a suggestion. As someone who recreated the LR Catalog I promote trying to work with the original first. You can lose a lot of information from the original catalog.

So, here's a suggestion:
  1. Install Jeffrey Friedl's “Extended Search” Lightroom Plugin.
  2. Backup your catalog in case you make a mistake
  3. Search for files of a small size. I just did a test on some thumb-nail size scans I did. All were less than 100KB.
    1607083814142.png
  4. Follow the instructions in the pop-up to select the matching photos
  5. Select all the files returned in the grid view
  6. User PHOTO->REMOVE PHOTO FROM CATALOG
This way you keep your existing catalog and only remove those images you are not interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back