• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Spammers on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squashed 'em. Now trying to find a way to prevent them, as the foreign language spam is getting past the spam plug-in.

Ok, I've put a couple more roadblocks in their way in an attempt to block them. It might mean a few "real" posts go into moderation for a few days, but that's worth it to avoid filling people's inboxes with Chinese spam.

Not sure these are available with the software but a few spam tools I have used.
1. Require email verification, do not allow multiple usernames with the same email.
2. Cap new posts by new user. E.g. only can post three times in the first day after registering.
3. Add questions about Lr to register. If you cannot answer them, account must be approved by moderator. E.g. like who makes it?
4. English characters only for low post counts. E.g. you have to have so many posts before posting in an alternative character set.
5. Throttle registrations. The third and higher registrations must be approved by mod each day.

Good luck,

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions Tim.

#1 was already in place.
#2 went into effect a few hours ago.
#3-#5 I can’t find a way to do in this software, but there are questions to confirm the user is human and not just a bot.

I’ll carry on hunting for more solutions if we continue to get hammered. It’s the first time we’ve had any serious spam in years.

Victoria,

Since you are paying for the software, ask the software company for a list of ant spam measures; and post them here. I am not the only IT guys on here, and we can help.

Tim

should be able to lock out links until a certain number of meaningful post are made. No idea how it's done; but we set 20 post on the forum I moderate . Some still try to get to 20 post with a lot of fast posting; that's when I start my game of deleting as they post. Poor buggers never seem to work out what's happening to their post count . Or I wait until they get to 19 and then hit the ban button :sneaky:
Spammer buster -- LOVE it :D.

We did restrict links, but then newbies with problems couldn't post screenshots of their problem, so it caused more trouble than the occasional spammer, and the spammers got wise and just posted rubbish for their first few posts.

Let's not make this a bigger issue than it is. The number of spam messages that get through is really very low and then they are usually caught quickly. If you don't want to get them in your email box, then follow these forums in your browser.

I woke up expecting a mass of spam again this morning, but there was only a couple of posts from a single spammer. Hopefully that's the end of it again for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back