• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sound when Re-sizing Brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickC

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Just a minor irritation; when re-sizing a minus brush, ie when holding down the Alt key, when using the [ and ] (square brackets) it plays the Windows asterisk sound.

Does anybody know a) why? and b) can I stop it doing this?

I suspect a wrong key combination error beeb. I get a similar situation when using brushes in Photoshop. For some reason the focus seems to drift from the Brush Tool.... then using a bracket will cause an error beeb. Maybe not the same.... I am curious to see if there any other comments on this.

In Ps if I re-click on the Brush tool the problem goes away. Most times I want to use the Brush I use the letter B shortcut to activate the brush.... I am also on Windows...

It's not that. This happens when I hold Alt and use the brackets to re-size the brush. The Alt makes the brush delete areas of mask, the brackets make the brush larger or smaller. The key combination is correct; without the Alt it adds to the mask, with the Alt it deletes. The sound issue only applies when deleting, and it is triggered every time I touch the square brackets, both [ and ] (increase and decrease the size of the brush). It's not a huge problem but just a tiny bit irritating.

I would be interested to know if the same happens for everyone, or if it is some setting on my set-up. It happens using the adjustment brush, and when using a brush to modify the mask of a graduated or radial adjustment - but only on the minus (Alt) brush.

I'm pretty sure that it's a windows thing. Alt+[ yields a beep in Lightroom and at least one other app, although it doesn't happen in Firefox. There's probably a clever programming trick to keep it from happening when you are actually using the keystroke for something, but Adobe hasn't applied it. It's nothing you're doing, so I suspect that barring an Adobe fix, you'll have to live with it. There's a link at the top of this page to the Adobe bug report site. You could submit a complaint there.

I agree with Hal.. I often thought of checking the windows keyboard shortcuts to try an eliminate this, but I have learned to live with similar behaviour in Ps.

Not much point reporting it. I'm on a perpetual license and I object to being railroaded into a subscription, especially since I am now semi-retired. Adobe have already said they don't plan to support people like me, so I guess that's it.

Doubly annoying since I was deeply involved from the first beta releases and I fed back a huge amount of comments to them for free.

Very grumpy still.

Okay, I've done a bit of Googling. Gnits was right, in a way. Alt activates the menu - as soon as you press it the underlines show up in the menu to tell you which letter to press to activate the menu item. Obviously [ or ] are not assigned to any menu item, so it beeps an error warning. This is a Windows-wide behaviour, but I would imagine it could be eliminated with a bit of clever programming by Adobe if they wanted to.

There is an acceptable workaround though. You can use the Alt-Gr key instead; it does the same thing but doesn't activate the menu.

And if you can't get to grips with using the key on that side of the keyboard you can go a step further; there are programmes you can download (for free, I think) which allow you to re-map your keyboard, so you can just swap the Alt and Alt-Gr keys.

Smiley face. Still grumpy with Adobe though.

Thanks for extra info.

I have a programmable keyboard and mouse, so I might try programming the Alt Gr option. I will report back.

Thanks for the update.

Today I discovered an issue with the workaround. You can use Alt-Gr to re-size the brush, but if you then use the brush while still holding Alt-Gr it appears to temorarily apply the auto mask, though it doesn't check the automask box. Yiu have to Alt-Gr, change the brush size, then Alt to paint.

Incidentally, I find the auto mask practically unusable because there is no feathering of the edges, which means that it creates some very unpleasant artefacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back