• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sorting Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

David PZ

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I always sort my images in a collection by Capture Time, which is the same as sorting them by File Extension. Looking at eight new images sorted by Capture Time today, somehow I realized that they were in reverse order. To get the order back, I chose File Extension. Now choosing Capture Time puts everything in reverse order again. I tested on another collection in the right order by Capture Time. It seems that clicking on File Extension didn't change anything, but clicking on Capture Time again reversed the order. What gives?

At the bottom of the window, next to where you choose the sort order, there is an ‘A - Z’ button. Click on it...

Thank you, Johan. It's such a simple thing I never noticed.

Another problem: I recently I transferred everything on my old MacBook Pro to a newer MacBook Pro with the latest Mojave OS. I was happy that my LR 5 worked fine. The only thing is that when I copy new images from my iPhone to LR, 535 old images already in LR show up each time too. Of course, I uncheck them and I am back in business. Do you see an obvious reason why this happens?

I am having trouble with sort order as well. Every time I edit in Photoshop or other editor and save, the edited image appears at the end of that folder of images. This is despite innumerable attempts to keep the sort order "Capture Time". Lightroom NEVER remembers that and so after EVERY external edit I have to go back to Library/View/Sort Order ...where the order has reverted yet again to "Added Order", and change it back to "Capture Time".

This has been going on for 5 or 6 versions of LR. I'm currently on LR Classic CC Ver 8.2.

Will Adobe never get us a Preferences setting to nail things like this down?? Does anybody know how?

Every time I edit in Photoshop or other editor and save, the edited image appears at the end of that folder of images.
The default sort order to a folder or collection is "Added Order" This is apparently what is happening here. Before you call up Photoshop to create a new image, make sure the sort order for the collection or folder that you are working in is set to Capture time or File Name (FWIW, File extension will not be useful since presumable all of the file will likely have the same extension). When Photoshop returns the new photo to the folder or collection, LR will display it at the location that you expect.

Cletus, you responded to what jjlad said, not me. I thought I would mention this problem, but do not expect to get an answer. I copy my iPhone X JPEG images to LR 5. This time about 1/3 of the photos showed up in LR with duplicates. The second copy is lighter than the first original. They are not HDR images. Say the file number is 7387, the duplicate has the number 2-23. The first 2 must indicate that it's a second copy. The other duplicates were numbered 2-24, 2-25, etc. (So possibly there was a 2-1 in the past?) I could delete the duplicates. But in some cases, they look better being lighter. I don't know what happened. Other shots all came out normal, no dupes. (I had other file number irregularities happening to me at various times, caused by the iPhone and/or LR, and have learned to accept them. Things just do not get simpler.)

Thanks Cletus ...I always do that. The problem is that I always want the sort order to be by capture time ...never anything else, and no matter how many times (literally hundreds) that I have set it to that ...it reverts to Added order as soon as I edit any photo in an external editor such as Photoshop CC (latest version)
Consequently, during the edit of a wedding or sports event involving thousands of photos, I have to change it back to Capture Time after every edit and that can be 100 or more. I want it to STAY that way ...not switch back as soon as I do another external edit.
Been like this for years. and to have to re direct LR to sort by capture time after every external edit, is really annoying.
I suppose this is the only choice there is since nothing seems to change it.

Will Adobe never get us a Preferences setting to nail things like this down?? Does anybody know how?
I'd suggest you try resetting your preferences. The default order for new collections is "Capture Time" and on both my Mac and Windows system that default order persists when I "Edit in PS". So maybe a prefs reset would work.

Daft question, you're definitely in a folder, and not Previous Import? The reason I ask is Added Order is the default for that special collection (but Capture Time elsewhere).

The reason I ask is Added Order is the default for that special collection (but Capture Time elsewhere).
That's what I thought, but on my last few imports using 8.2 the sort order after the import completed was Capture Time. A recent undocumented change?

Eugh, I hate when they sneak things past us. All of my imports come via CC these days.

I am updating on the problem of importing images from my iPhone to LR 5 which I brought up on Feb. 28 above. I thought it might be of interest to some of you. Basically, when I imported new images from the phone, over 500 images already in LR came in again with different file numbers. Also, some new images came into LR with duplicates. Then I discovered those 500+ images in the Import Album on the phone. How did they get there? All this really messed up image management in LR. I finally called 1-800-MYAPPLE. The rep seemed to understand the problem. He led me to my camera app on the phone to uncheck iCloud Photos. So far, so good. I hope this is it.

Thanks for updating us David.

The sort order continues to plague me. I'm working in the folders ..not the previous imports. Just completed a trip to Europe and have a few thousand photos ...and LR is messing up the orders so bad I can hardly believe my eyes. I've been in and out of them repeatedly ...each time going to sort/capture time for the whole batch of them, but within minutes things don't make sense and I find it has resorted to added order again. There are images from 3 cameras involved ...and all are time synced.
Nikon D7200
LG - G6
LG - G7

I select say 12 Nikon photos to merge to pano and stack and what a mess. It somehow re-sorts them and tries to stitch them out of sequence. I unstack them to find they are now sorted in totally unorganized fashion ...first one in the middle of the bunch, etc. I check my sort order and it is back to Added Order so I change to Capture time and try again only to get a similar but different result. The program has simply gone WONKY insofar as sorting is concerned.
Do I ever envy my partner whose G6 photos automatically uploaded to her Google Photos. Google Photos organized them by city and date and made a beautiful travel collection complete with maps showing our air and train travels. With LR it looks like that process will take years! I'm literally giving up for now because it is so unpredictable.
I'll have to call Adobe and let them see what's happening although numerous sessions with them over the past few months concerning performance issues with both LR and Photoshop ...have proved fruitless. With both running I'm at 98% of resources tied up in no time and have to re-boot. My W10 is right up to date as are my programs. I running of a 1TB SSD and have 12g of ram. My frustration with these programs lately is hard to put into words.

Called Adobe and a person in India did try to help, but to no avail. He tried to resolve my memory drain issues as well ...also to no avail, even after he tweaked my registry to tell PS I had more ram than I actually have.
While he was on my system ...we started with 23% of my Ram used and after opening LR, selecting a 650kb file (yes .65mb), opening it in PS, then selecting a small portion of that and doing layer via copy, then erasing a small part of that layer and trying to fill it back in using content aware fill ...we got a cannot complete due to not enough memory and at that point 83% of my 12gigs of ram was tied up, so LR and PS were using 60%!.
The wedding I'm trying to edit is getting hopeless. At least the couple is away until next week but at this rate I have no idea what to tell them because both LR and PS are like trying to roll a ball bearing through a box of magnets! I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Every update makes it worse.
I was also trying Unmesh's trick to reduce file sizes as he posted in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOuCuhpBq4Q and while it works for him ...and Photoshop displays sizes similar to what it did for him ...my files on disk are close to the larger size displayed in the smart object when it is opened so on my Windows system that doesn't accomplish anything and either way ...has no effect on my Ram drain.
This is making me question why I'm in photography these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back