Sorting Order

David PZ Wong

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
I always sort my images in a collection by Capture Time, which is the same as sorting them by File Extension. Looking at eight new images sorted by Capture Time today, somehow I realized that they were in reverse order. To get the order back, I chose File Extension. Now choosing Capture Time puts everything in reverse order again. I tested on another collection in the right order by Capture Time. It seems that clicking on File Extension didn't change anything, but clicking on Capture Time again reversed the order. What gives?

David PZ Wong

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thank you, Johan. It's such a simple thing I never noticed.

Another problem: I recently I transferred everything on my old MacBook Pro to a newer MacBook Pro with the latest Mojave OS. I was happy that my LR 5 worked fine. The only thing is that when I copy new images from my iPhone to LR, 535 old images already in LR show up each time too. Of course, I uncheck them and I am back in business. Do you see an obvious reason why this happens?

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I am having trouble with sort order as well. Every time I edit in Photoshop or other editor and save, the edited image appears at the end of that folder of images. This is despite innumerable attempts to keep the sort order "Capture Time". Lightroom NEVER remembers that and so after EVERY external edit I have to go back to Library/View/Sort Order ...where the order has reverted yet again to "Added Order", and change it back to "Capture Time".

This has been going on for 5 or 6 versions of LR. I'm currently on LR Classic CC Ver 8.2.

Will Adobe never get us a Preferences setting to nail things like this down?? Does anybody know how?

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Every time I edit in Photoshop or other editor and save, the edited image appears at the end of that folder of images.
The default sort order to a folder or collection is "Added Order" This is apparently what is happening here. Before you call up Photoshop to create a new image, make sure the sort order for the collection or folder that you are working in is set to Capture time or File Name (FWIW, File extension will not be useful since presumable all of the file will likely have the same extension). When Photoshop returns the new photo to the folder or collection, LR will display it at the location that you expect.

David PZ Wong

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cletus, you responded to what jjlad said, not me. I thought I would mention this problem, but do not expect to get an answer. I copy my iPhone X JPEG images to LR 5. This time about 1/3 of the photos showed up in LR with duplicates. The second copy is lighter than the first original. They are not HDR images. Say the file number is 7387, the duplicate has the number 2-23. The first 2 must indicate that it's a second copy. The other duplicates were numbered 2-24, 2-25, etc. (So possibly there was a 2-1 in the past?) I could delete the duplicates. But in some cases, they look better being lighter. I don't know what happened. Other shots all came out normal, no dupes. (I had other file number irregularities happening to me at various times, caused by the iPhone and/or LR, and have learned to accept them. Things just do not get simpler.)

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Thanks Cletus ...I always do that. The problem is that I always want the sort order to be by capture time ...never anything else, and no matter how many times (literally hundreds) that I have set it to that ...it reverts to Added order as soon as I edit any photo in an external editor such as Photoshop CC (latest version)
Consequently, during the edit of a wedding or sports event involving thousands of photos, I have to change it back to Capture Time after every edit and that can be 100 or more. I want it to STAY that way ...not switch back as soon as I do another external edit.
Been like this for years. and to have to re direct LR to sort by capture time after every external edit, is really annoying.
I suppose this is the only choice there is since nothing seems to change it.

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Will Adobe never get us a Preferences setting to nail things like this down?? Does anybody know how?
I'd suggest you try resetting your preferences. The default order for new collections is "Capture Time" and on both my Mac and Windows system that default order persists when I "Edit in PS". So maybe a prefs reset would work.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Daft question, you're definitely in a folder, and not Previous Import? The reason I ask is Added Order is the default for that special collection (but Capture Time elsewhere).

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
The reason I ask is Added Order is the default for that special collection (but Capture Time elsewhere).
That's what I thought, but on my last few imports using 8.2 the sort order after the import completed was Capture Time. A recent undocumented change?

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Eugh, I hate when they sneak things past us. All of my imports come via CC these days.

David PZ Wong

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am updating on the problem of importing images from my iPhone to LR 5 which I brought up on Feb. 28 above. I thought it might be of interest to some of you. Basically, when I imported new images from the phone, over 500 images already in LR came in again with different file numbers. Also, some new images came into LR with duplicates. Then I discovered those 500+ images in the Import Album on the phone. How did they get there? All this really messed up image management in LR. I finally called 1-800-MYAPPLE. The rep seemed to understand the problem. He led me to my camera app on the phone to uncheck iCloud Photos. So far, so good. I hope this is it.