Sorting by file type

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Simonius

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Mty file organisation's a mess and I have been trying to work out the best way to put tiffs, jpgs, psd and CR@ files in different folders. As it stands I have several old folders with some of each in. I am better at it now so the more recent filing is more coherent but all this old stuff I need to make sense of!

I can't suss out an easy way to actually sort and move them into relevant folders

Im sure in Mac OS 9 you could sort by file type in the finder but cant see how to do that on MacOS X and can't see an EASY way to do it via LR

any hints?

thanks

Im sure in Mac OS 9 you could sort by file type in the finder but cant see how to do that on MacOS X and can't see an EASY way to do it via LR
Well, I Simonius,
The filters in the Library will sort by file type.
Select All Photographs, filter by each of the file formats and bunch the images into 5 collections: Raw, DNG, PSD, TIFF and JPEG .
Once the images are in their right collections, select and move the files to their "real" folders, and you never left Lightroom.
I hope it helps...

sounds good thanks _how do you actually move files on disk from within LR? I'll try it out tomorrow anyway;)

Before you start, make sure your backups are up to date.

In Library Grid, select the images to be moved, and:

A) On the actual image portion of a selected thumbnail (not the gray frame/bezel), click and drag the selection to the target folder.

-or-

B) Right-click on the target folder, select 'Move Selected Photos to this Folder'.

Sometimes, you will get a scary warning that LR will move the files, and you can't undo it, etc. Don't worry about that, it just means the undo button won't undo the move.

Just like an OS move, moving files within the same drive/partition is very quick, moving them between drives/partitions takes more time, because in that case a move is actually a real copy followed by a delete.

Before you start, make sure your backups are up to date.

In Library Grid, select the images to be moved, and:

A) On the actual image portion of a selected thumbnail (not the gray frame/bezel), click and drag the selection to the target folder.

-or-

B) Right-click on the target folder, select 'Move Selected Photos to this Folder'.

Sometimes, you will get a scary warning that LR will move the files, and you can't undo it, etc. Don't worry about that, it just means the undo button won't undo the move.

Just like an OS move, moving files within the same drive/partition is very quick, moving them between drives/partitions takes more time, because in that case a move is actually a real copy followed by a delete.

Thanks for that

Yes thyeare all backed up - in fact I was having to do this because I had lost some files and was reintroducing all my cd/DVD back ups back onto the computer in an effort to find a missing few files. Sadly they are still missing. I can't believe I didnt back them up all that time ago but where are they...?:cry:

What a palaver backing up to and from cd/dvds is! I now have an external HD which is so much easier .. but far from as safe...still I suppose, thinking about it, it'snot tat much worse than negatives, they get scratched and mouldy after too long

In LR, in Library Grid, you can select to sort by file type or file extension. Is that what you meant, or am I answering the wrong question?

Could you detail exactly how to sort by type or file extension? I've tried doing this, but can't get it to work. Do you filter by text, by attribute, by metadata, how?

Here's my problem: I recently imported the photos I made at a weeklong jazz workshop and festival. I'd already worked through thousands of these photos in ACR/Photoshop CS3, before I bought Lightroom 2. I had a folder for the day of the week (with all the raw files); a subfolder with the converted .tiff files; and a subfolder of that with jpeg files for web use. Somehow, when I imported all these into Lightroom, the folder structure got screwed up, at least in the LR Library module.

Now, in Library module the main folder displays not only the raw files that belong there, but the .tiff and .jpeg files as well. The "converted" subfolder shows the .tiff and .jpeg files, when I want only the .tiff files. The final subfolder contains only the .jpeg files, as it should.

When I look in Explorer, the main folder contains only the raw files. The converted subfolder contains only the .tiff files. This is as is it should be. Why does the Library module in LR display something else?

More importantly, how can I remove the unwanted file types from the folders where they do not belong? Now that I'm in Lightroom, I don't really need to hold on to the .tiff files (they take up a lot of space!), but for starters I'd like to not see several identical photos side by side when I'm in the Library module. I just want to see either the raw, or the .tiff, or the jpeg in the correct folder.

When I look in the "converted" subfolder, Library shows me both the .tiff and the .jpeg files. When I've tried to filter for either of these file types,, using the Text filter LR reports "No photos in selected folder." What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Never mind: I found the answer. I had "include photos from subfolders" active in the Library Filters under the File menu. Unchecked that box and now all is well.

Ignorance is not bliss...

Jim

Never mind: I found the answer. I had "include photos from subfolders" active in the Library Filters under the File menu. Unchecked that box and now all is well.

Ignorance is not bliss...

Jim

Well done Jim !!:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back