• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sort by Portrait vs Landscape in LR Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

braver

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Folks -- if you're like me, you enjoy reclining on your sofa with iPad Air and seeing your amazing pics in great clarity and blazing speed, all properly synced from the desktop via LR Mobile and an efficient process. Now, it presumes meditative flow and ease. One problem is, I have to rotate the iPad all the time since I shoot in portrait often, intermingled with landscape randomly. Victoria -- since you have a direct line to Adobe HQ, can you please ask them to add sorting by orientation? Meanwhile I was thinking of subdividing my synced collections into Portrait and Landscape, since we can filter on it, but it seems a bit too much trouble if there's hope that the orientation sort flag will be added to LR Mobile eventually.

A+

Folks -- if you're like me, you enjoy reclining on your sofa with iPad Air and seeing your amazing pics in great clarity and blazing speed, all properly synced from the desktop via LR Mobile and an efficient process. Now, it presumes meditative flow and ease. One problem is, I have to rotate the iPad all the time since I shoot in portrait often, intermingled with landscape randomly. Victoria -- since you have a direct line to Adobe HQ, can you please ask them to add sorting by orientation? Meanwhile I was thinking of subdividing my synced collections into Portrait and Landscape, since we can filter on it, but it seems a bit too much trouble if there's hope that the orientation sort flag will be added to LR Mobile eventually.

You could try adding your vote to this thread at Adobe's official feature request site.
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-mobile-sort-by-aspect-ratio

A+
I think what you have is an iPad problem if you have a problem at all. You can already filter by Aspect ratio with a metadata filter in the LR filter bar. You can even sort a collection by aspect ratio in LR. I have a mixture of landscape and portrait photos in one of my LRMobile albums. When I view this on my iPhone, portraits and landscapes always appear with their top at the top of the screen no matter which way my screen happens to be orientated. If you are wanting to view images on the iPad with their long edge always oriented with the long edge of the screen, you need to reorient these in the LR collection before you upload to LR Mobile. LR mobile always honors the orientation field as set in the EXIF. So portrait heads and landscape skies will always be at the top of the viewing screen.

I think what you have is an iPad problem if you have a problem at all. You can already filter by Aspect ratio with a metadata filter in the LR filter bar. You can even sort a collection by aspect ratio in LR. I have a mixture of landscape and portrait photos in one of my LRMobile albums. When I view this on my iPhone, portraits and landscapes always appear with their top at the top of the screen no matter which way my screen happens to be orientated. If you are wanting to view images on the iPad with their long edge always oriented with the long edge of the screen, you need to reorient these in the LR collection before you upload to LR Mobile. LR mobile always honors the orientation field as set in the EXIF. So portrait heads and landscape skies will always be at the top of the viewing screen.

You're absolutely right Cletus, it's an iPad problem (or rather a LR Mobile problem). To view images at their best on a tablet the long edge of the image needs to align with the long edge of the screen. If your synced collection is a mixture of portrait and landscaped images you find yourself constantly rotating the tablet from portrait to landscape and vice versa. The simple answer is to sort the images by aspect ratio, then you only have to change the orientation of the tablet once as you step through the images.

On LR desktop one of the sort options is aspect ratio, but that option isn't available in LR mobile. If you sort the collection on the desktop by aspect ratio, that ordering isn't carried over to LR mobile. So what's needed is a "sort by aspect ratio" option in LR mobile. As I pointed out earlier in the thread there's a request for it in official Adobe forum, but it hasn't had many votes yet...

Actually, this is not an iPad problem, it is an inconvenience. My cameras are all recording the orientation, I can iPad stationary and see all pics properly presented.

The problem for me is that I'm not seeing them full-screen. I'd like to first see all landscape pics, holding iPad horizontally. Then I'd turn it vertically and see all portrait pics. That way they will all be full-screen. In order to minimize rotation of the iPad itself, I'd like to sort the collection in LR mobile by orientation.

The sorting on LR desktop by aspect ratio does not seem to propagate to LR mobile. How can that be accomplished?
A+

The sorting on LR desktop by aspect ratio does not seem to propagate to LR mobile. How can that be accomplished?

it can't, that's why I said it's an LR mobile problem in my previous posts. There is no option to sort by aspect ratio in LR mobile. If you'd like to add your vote to the request in the Adobe forum (see link in post above) it might help persuade Adobe to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back