• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Sort by Capture Time not sorting at all by capture time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello,
So. I'm selecting LR to sort my Libary (All Photographs) by Capture Time A -> Z
I can only assume it’s looking at the date then the time. I assume the intended result is to have the pictures in chronological order.

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 18.14.54.jpg

However, when I look at the "Capture Date/Time" metadata of the pictures, it is clearly not that order they are in.

Here is the date& time of the 1st picture
Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 18.16.54.jpg

Here is the date&time of the last picture
Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 18.16.46.jpg

In the middle somewhere:
Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 18.15.01.jpg

Is this "Capture Date/Time" metadata not what LR is looking at for sorting?
Is there another Capture Date which metadata which can be in conflict?

Thanks

Virtual copies are indeed stacked with the original by default, but that should not be a problem because the virtual copy and the original will have identical capture dates. You can also stack other images however (you could even do that by mistake) and then the capture dates of the members are not identical. I don’t think there is a way to search for stacks, but if you see an image that does not sort the way it should sort, then it should be easy to check whether or not that image is in a stack.

Virtual copies are indeed stacked with the original by default, but that should not be a problem because the virtual copy and the original will have identical capture dates. You can also stack other images however (you could even do that by mistake) and then the capture dates of the members are not identical. I don’t think there is a way to search for
So I did a quick glance over 3800 pictures in my catalogue and I don't see stacks. I tried reordering but the problem persists.
Clearly there is something wrong. Because my first pictures in after sorting are in the year 2020 and my last pictures are in 2020 and in between I've got tons of stuff from 2018 and 2019...

The only reason I can think of is that the Sort by "Capture Time" does not correspond to the "Capture Date/Time" metadata line.
Indeed, I only shoot analog film and so my negatives have been scanned by different labs. Perhaps there is a different metadata dates created during the scanning and LR is sorting according to those dates.
Any clue?

Aha. Scanned images do not have a capture date/time. What Lightroom normally does is use the file creation date in that case, but that may not be reliable. I have seen reports about that. How do I change the photo dates on scanned / photographed images? | The Lightroom Queen

Hey Johan.
I understand the concern but I don't think the issue stems from that.

Indeed, via the Menu "Metadata" -> "Edit Capture Time" I was able to look at the current Capture Time on 4-5 of my picture in my Catalog.
Do they have times to them.

So still with the A-Z Capture Time here is what I have.
Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 16.31.59.jpg

First picture at the very top left. The date here is about correct. I took the pics late Feb and got them scanned in early March.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 16.24.33.jpg

Since this date of the 8th of March 2020 I've got many other scans.

Here is an example.
One of the last pictures on my catalog (bottom)
The date here is also correct. I took the pic 3 weeks ago and got it scanned later November.
Theoretically this picture should be at the top of the catalog.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 16.27.45.jpg

Here is a date from pictures in the middle of my catalog. I just chose randomly.
You can see summer (July) 2018. This is correct as well. That picture in no case should be in the middle of the catalog but much more at the bottom.
Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 16.25.20.jpg

To build on Johan's reply, LR has long had bugs with imported photos not containing capture dates (EXIF:DateTimeOriginal):
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...or-photos-and-videos/5f5f45764b561a3d424dfc91

You'll see inconsistencies between the capture date shown in the Metadata panel, under the thumbnails in grid view, and sorting by capture date. Despite a couple of half-hearted attempts, Adobe hasn't been able to get it right. Use the workaround I posted in the thread linked to above by Johan.

Maybe you should still use this dialog to see if that solves the problem: Problem Sorting by Capture Time
To build on Johan's reply, LR has long had bugs with imported photos not containing capture dates (EXIF:DateTimeOriginal):
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...or-photos-and-videos/5f5f45764b561a3d424dfc91

You'll see inconsistencies between the capture date shown in the Metadata panel, under the thumbnails in grid view, and sorting by capture date. Despite a couple of half-hearted attempts, Adobe hasn't been able to get it right. Use the workaround I posted in the thread linked to above by Johan.

Hello Johan and John
Bingo, it worked !

Following your instructions John, I ended up making a copy of my catalog then selecting all pictures to via Metadata > Edit Capture Time followed by Change All. A lot of pictures were shuffled as they were being re-sorted. At first glance my Library is now looking correctly sorted :)

By the way, I also discovered the View Options settings (via your post John). Very useful settings, I had never been in there to change anything. I was very happy to be able to customize this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back