Status
Not open for further replies.

themaneatingshark

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I used the Abobe converter and the resulting file size is now the same as as the jpg picture. I'm using LR6.
What am I missing?
Thank you in advance.

I suspect you are missing the image. o_O

I just converted an A7Riv image that was previously lossy compressed to DNG and it went from 60MB up to 77MB. A typical image exported as a 92 quality JPG is usually around 15-20MB. If I get a really noisy/messy/detailed shot the JPG can get almost as big as the DNG but that's rare.

Can you elaborate on what camera and some actual numbers? Are you sure you are using a version of the converter that works with that camera?

Check you haven't checked the Use Lossy Compression checkbox in the DNG converter. That would result in a JPEG size image.

OK. It appears I am mistaking some data for anther that I seek. Lets here is an overview:

I have newly purchased the Sony a6600 and Sony a7 III and capture both JPG and raw ARW.
When tethered, the pics go to PlayMemory program.
From there I select any ARW photo, right click, hover over "Develop RAW Image", select "Adobe DNG Converter".
This leads me to the converter's menu selection. I then:
a) select the file folder with all the ARW to convert
b) identify the "save to" location
c) add wording to the picture files to identify the camera used
d) click "Change Preferences" and then: "raw 11.2 and later", Medium sized preview, uncheck compression box, skip the Embed Original RAW File, leave UI Scaling on "Auto"
I then go into LR to Import these photos, and do so without apparent issues.

Now, and here is where my logic is screwed up, I find reference to the file size for both JPG and DNG conversion (I am looking at the thumbnails in grid view) to be the same; 24mp for example.
So, I've either screwed up the conversion process, or the metadata is alluding me. Where do I find the file size to verify I am about to process full RAW pics??

Thank you all!

Now, and here is where my logic is screwed up, I find reference to the file size for both JPG and DNG conversion (I am looking at the thumbnails in grid view) to be the same; 24mp for example.
You confuse megapixels and megabytes. Of course the image size is the same in megapixels. Compression does not change the number of pixels in an image.

Thank you Johan, for the explaination!
Sooooooo......where do I find the refrence for actual megabyte size of any given photo? I am apparently not digging deep enough or I'm looking in all the wrong places.

Where do I find the file size to verify I am about to process full RAW pics??
If you have not applied any crop window in your camera settings, your a6600 (as example) will produce a full 24mp image that is 6000px X 4000px.
Since you are shooting RAW the crop window is only applied in settings and the full RAW image is available to LR by changing the Aspect ratio in Develop from "As Shot" to "Original".
RAW images have no pixel dimensions until converted to RGB. The size of the original RAW in MB is irrelevant.

Your Workflow seems a hodgepodge of pieces most of which is unnecessary. Why are you shooting tethered? You can capture the same ARW file in the camera on the camera card. You can import those images by inserting the camera card into a suitable attached card reader and importing directly into Lightroom. You do not need to convert to DNG although some choose to do that IN Lightroom on import. Once imported into Lightroom, LR uses a version of ACR to create an RGB image from the RAW data file. When you chose to create a derivative, then you export to create a JPEG or TIFF that is a combination of the image captured RAW and the develop edits that you make in Lightroom. The result is one original ARW Raw file and optionally one pr more derivatives of the image edited with LR.

This replaces the 10 processing steps that you outlined earlier with two. (Save the image Ian ARW file and import into Lightroom)

Thank you very much!
However, I am a little lost on the suggestion to import from the card directly to LR. If LR is a non destructive recipe for my originals, where do the originals go? The only point I seem to missing here, is that while importing off the card to LR, the originals are in fact, going to my hard drive as well...is this true?

(I also own the Canon 5DIV and load from the camera into DPP. From there I import those into LR.)

Thank you very much!
However, I am a little lost on the suggestion to import from the card directly to LR. If LR is a non destructive recipe for my originals, where do the originals go? The only point I seem to missing here, is that while importing off the card to LR, the originals are in fact, going to my hard drive as well...is this true?

(I also own the Canon 5DIV and load from the camera into DPP. From there I import those into LR.)
Yes, the originals go to your hard drive, to a location you specify in the right column of the import dialog (under Destination). There is no compelling reason to use DPP at all.

Thank you very much!

Your originals are indeed copied to your local disk drive. Where they remain exact copies of what was recorded by your camera. And you should have a system backup in place to make sure that all of your critical user data including those copies of your RAW files are backed up and recoverable when you have a disk storage failure. It is important to have (at least) two copies of your original images for safety of those files.

When you take a photo with your camera, the images are stored on the camera card. At this time this is the only copy of those files and they are vulnerable to loss, damage etc. while the only copy is on the camera card. If at first opportunity you import the into Lightroom, Lightroom will stop an exact copy of the original file at a place that you designate on your disk drive. When you system backup has done its job, you will have two exact copies of the original file in two places for safety. Only then is it safe to erase the data on the camera card and reuse the camera card. Lightroom will make a note of the location (path) where the exact copy of the original file has been stored during import. The only other time that Lightroom will used this original image file is when it needs to read the original data to print or make a derivative export file.
Efficient practice is to use Lightroom to import all image files and manage those in the location that was assigned by Lightroom. You only need one copy of the original file managed by Lightroom and (at least) one copy held in reserve (backup) in the eventual event that recovery is needed.

PlayMemory and DPP are functionally equivalent to the Lightroom import process to copy data files from the camera card to the disk drive for safe keeping.

Hmmm.
I have always transferred content by connecting my cameras directly to the computer. It goes without saying, that I am then directed to the programs supporting the cameras (PlayMemories or to DPP). If I can deviate from these two programs, are their any recomended DO's and DONT's . I would like to escape from the use of the manufacturer's programs if that is what you recommend.

Thank you one and all!
I will now look closer at these options toward minimizing the steps I currently take.
But, before dropping this post entirely, I still would like to have access to the megabyte size of RAW files worked in LR. Do we have such info within the LR program at all? Or am I fooling myself into believing that it is even relevant through the lens of LR?
On my way to work, so until tomorrow.......

2020-01-28 12_27_25-Window.png

Hal has provided the LR answer about File size. However, It is really not relevant to any Lightroom functionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But, before dropping this post entirely, I still would like to have access to the megabyte size of RAW files worked in LR. Do we have such info within the LR program at all? Or am I fooling myself into believing that it is even relevant through the lens of LR?
You are indeed fooling yourself, and not only through the lens of Lightroom. The file size of a raw file is completely irrelevant, unless you need to worry about disk space.

I still would like to have access to the megabyte size of RAW files worked in LR.
Alternatively to Hal's approach, right-click on any image in Lightroom and select "Show in Explorer". This will bring up Windows Explorer with the image you selected highlighted. Explorer shows file size, date, and (depending on settings) various other pieces of information about your file - and all the other files in the same directory.

If you really have LR 6 as indicated above, the A7iii is not supported until mid 7.x and the A6600 until something like version 9.x, so going through the DNG converter is likely a necessary step, you can't import the raw (card or otherwise) directly into LR.

Now if you get a current version of LR you can.

to Hal: Bingo!! Thank You!!
to Cletus: Thank you for your wisdom and guidance!
to Johan: I appreciate the "focus" you provided for me, Thank you!
to Ferguson: Your input and interest in helping me out was outstanding!
to PRB: Thank you for providing an alternative route to my quest!
to Victoria: You have a wonderful family here! Thank you so very much!

I Asked, You All Answered (and more!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back